Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

EO + MS AjaxTookKit: compatibility issues? Options
Hugh J. Hitchcock
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:47:22 PM
Groups: Member

Hi, overall I am having a good experience with my purchase of EO Web objects. However, it has so far been my experience that in general, the Microsoft AjaxToolKit controls are not compatible. If anyone else is having issues or has solved issues with this, I would appreciate hearing from you.

at first I was having issues displaying a EO AjaxUploader within an MS modalPopupExtender panel, the uploader would not draw itself until the SECOND time I opened the panel. Ultimately I abandoned the modalPopupExtender in favor of EO's multipage views which allowed me to do basically the same thing with no conflicts.

However, I have just uncovered another incompatibility: I am attempting to use a MS AjaxToolKit DropDownExtender on a textbox which is in an EO CallBackPanel. All my controls are working perfectly and calling back correctly. The DropDownExtender also works great at first, its purpose is to appear over a textbox and display a list of phone numbers for the user to select one which ends up in the text box and the extender goes away. this works fine until I execute a callback, and then the DropDownExtender simply disappears, stops working, no longer appears on the textbox of the TargetControlID (or anywhere else.)

This is really frustrating as I would like to make all these controls work together. There seems to be a lot of issues with getting this stuff to work with the AjaxTookKit. Specifically, I want to design a sophisticated user interface using things like the DropDownExtender (which EO does not offer something similar) while utilising the excellent CallBackPanel functionality of EO.

I hope someone understands what I am talking about and may be able to shed some light on these kinds of issues. thanks in advance

Hugh J. Hitchcock
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:17:26 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi Hugh,

For ModalPopupExtender, you can try to use our own Dialog control. They work slighlty differently but have similar functionality.

The second problem is a bit more complicated. The reason that it stops working is because the after a Callback, the original text box that the drop down extender hooked up is gone. The textbox has been re-rendered by the server and a new textbox is put in place. While this new text appears at the same location, it is not hooked up with the extender. In order to permanently address this issue, the extender has to re-hook to the textbox. We are working on to automatically re-hook these controls if possible. If that works well then this should no longer be an issue.

Thanks
Hugh J. Hitchcock
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:41:39 PM

thanks for the reply... is there anyway to programatically hook up the extender? I tried rendering the control programatically, it works only the first time, but not on callbacks because apparently callbacks occur after the original rendering of the page when the controls have to be already loaded.

So... my guess is it can't be done programmatically at this time, unless you've discovered a way to do it. Otherwise, how long do you think it will be before you come up with the upgrade you mentioned?

thanks,
Hugh
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:46:45 PM

Hi Hugh,

AJAX toolbox is based on ASP.NET AJAX. So it does work with ASP.NET AJAX's own UpdatePanel. So that can be a backup solution.

We are trying to implement the same logic that UpdatePanel does but without actually relying on its implementation detail. It's still too early to offer a time frame though. We will definitely keep you posted as soon as we have an update.

Thanks
eo_support
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 6:59:08 AM

This issue is addressed in build 2007.2.47.
Trick
Posted: Monday, August 4, 2008 9:00:21 AM

Hi EO,

I'm having the same problem with the AJAXControlToolkit's HoverMenuExtender. Everything is find the first time the page loads, but after any callback none of them work.

Is there a fix I can implement or code workaround for this (I am using v6.0.18.2)?

Regards,

Richard.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, August 4, 2008 10:57:13 AM

Hi Richard,

The easiest workaround is to use UpdatePanel (if that works). On the other hand, all of our controls work with UpdatePanel very much the same way as with our own CallbackPanel.

Thanks