Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

slider within callbackpanel Options
quirtep
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 7:36:01 AM
Groups: Member

I am trying to use the "slider" from the AJAX Control Toolkit (http://www.asp.net/ajax/ajaxcontroltoolkit/Samples/Slider/Slider.aspx) but it doesn't seem to work inside an EO callbackpanel. Do you know why that would be? It does work inside a standard updatepanel...

PS: Note that the slider works until the callbackpanel is executed.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 2:36:11 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

This is normal. Our CallbackPanel and ASP.NET UpdatePanel work very similar but because ASP.NET UpdatePanel is the "official" AJAX solution so that's what most controls will explicitly support. In the case of AJAX toolkit Slider, it works fine because it explicitly calls several ASP.NET AJAX functions to initialize, this works together with ASP.NET AJAX's ScriptManager and UpdatePanel. On the other hand CallbackPanel does not have any interaction or knowledge about the Slider so it does not work.

We could change our CallbackPanel to do everything ScriptManager and UpdatePanel does but that would basically result a bloated UpdatePanel with a different name. So there is no practical value in doing so. As a result, we are encouraging our users to use UpdatePanel for controls that were coded to work with UpdatePanel.

Thanks!
quirtep
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 5:55:42 PM
Groups: Member

Thank you. I did end up using an UpdatePanel, and it works fine. I guess I, for one, would like to see the tools within the AJAX Control Toolkit, at least, be fully compatible with all EO controls, including the CallbackPanel. I tend to use the CallbackPanel instead of the UpdatePanel because it's a bit more elegant and has better client control, but I would like to be consistent in my coding and use either one or the other. I would also like to have the option to go back and add controls from the AJAX Control Toolkit to applications that already use a CallbackPanel. I assumed (and read in your discussion forums) that EO and AJAX Control Toolkit played well together.

Anyway - a gripe. I can work around the issue for now, and I still love the EO suite. I do think it should be made fully compatible with the AJAX Control Toolkit, though...
eo_support
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 6:16:16 PM
Groups: Administration

quirtep wrote:
Anyway - a gripe. I can work around the issue for now, and I still love the EO suite. I do think it should be made fully compatible with the AJAX Control Toolkit, though...

We understand where you come from. The CallbackPanel has certain advantages such as the client side API you mentioned. However one key fact that is often overlooked is for complicated controls, the control and the panel needs to work together to manage the control's life cycle. This is not possible unless the control is aware of the panel and works with the panel. Thus when a control is only aware of UpdatePanel, there are only two options we can do: do nothing so it does not work; or pretend to be UpdatePanel so that the control would talk to us. The second option sounds cool but it is not practical because we do not have control over MS AJAX's source code or development cycle, so there is no reliable way for us to keep in sync with them --- not to mention even if we were able to be in sync with them, all we produce would pretty much be a copy of MS's product, which could have legal implications even though we have no intention to do any harm to MS.

We are one of the first vendors who have an AJAX Panel solution, our CallbackPanel was released much earlier than MS's UpdatePanel. While MS's UpdatePanel only works on ASP.NET 2.0 and above, we support all ASP.NET versions. Not surprisingly, our CallbackPanel also works better with our own control because our controls are aware of our own CallbackPanel. All these advantages will stay but for controls that are only designed to work with UpdatePanel, it should be used with UpdatePanel because that's how it is designed to work and we don't want to hack it into working with what it is not designed to work with.

Thanks