Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

TreeView Search/Find Options
ROI.Solutions
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 4:06:20 PM
Groups: Member

I noticed the Treeview has but in properties for Search and find however i cant get this to work. Essnetiall lets say i have a parent menu with Student i click to exand it to adams, Jim whihc is a sub node. Does the search or find function allow me to type inot a text bx and auto find and highlight the given student? can you give me and example of how this works.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 4:44:44 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

The TreeView provides the following two functions for search:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/ViewDoc.aspx?t=EO.Web.BaseNavigator.FindItem.html
http://www.essentialobjects.com/ViewDoc.aspx?t=EO.Web.BaseNavigator.SearchItems_overloads.html

But it does not provide any UI support, neither for input nor for output. So you will need to program the related UI stuff.

Thanks
ROI.Solutions
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:20:41 AM

Ok that explains it very weel thank you. Another thing is i can build the Treww View behind the page by doing this

Dim oTree as new EO.Web.TreeView etc...

I then load the tree view nodes with a loop but have to i send it to the page. I want to now add it to the page but am unable to find out how to.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:38:35 AM

Hi,

Loading control dynamically is a rather advanced topic. It involves not only creating and rendering the control, but also maintaining state and firing related events. The issue itself is purely an ASP.NET issue and the basic principles are exactly the same for any server controls. There is no fundamental difference between "sending a TreeView to the page" and "sending a Button to the page", or hooking up event handlers for the TreeView or the Button. In another word, it has nothing to do with the TreeView.

The best way for you to get familiar with this technique is probably to start with simple standard ASP.NET controls, for example, a Button first. That way the control itself will give you less distraction on issues that you will hit during dynamic loading. Once you are familiar with all the issues related to dynamic loading, you will just swap out the button with the TreeView and you will be all set.

Thanks
ROI.Solutions
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:52:14 AM

OK i can load it fine now but i have performance issues. I am building the tree view from a datasource and loading the tree I keep getting and IE Meesage saying the "A Script on this page is cause IE to run slwoly." and it take over20-30secs for the tree vew to load is there a way to speed this up?
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:24:49 AM

Loren wrote:
OK i can load it fine

Great to hear you figured out! As previously stated, we do not answer generic programming questions. So it's much appreciated that you can resolve this issue by yourself.

Loren wrote:
now but i have performance issues. I am building the tree view from a datasource and loading the tree I keep getting and IE Meesage saying the "A Script on this page is cause IE to run slwoly." and it take over20-30secs for the tree vew to load is there a way to speed this up?

You will get that when you try to load too many TreeNodes one time. The most effective way to speed it up is to reduce the number of nodes you are loading. The TreeView supports PopulateOnDemand feature to help you to populate one node a time:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/Demo/Default.aspx?path=TreeView\_i1\_i1

This also means that you will have to restructure your code so that you no longer populate the whole TreeView on initial load. Also, most people run into trouble when using PopulateOnDemand and dynamic loading together due to the inherited complexity involved in dynamic loading. So you may wish to try this feature out without dynamic loading first. Once you get that going and are ready to tackle dynamic loading, a few more resources are available to you:

1. Our sample project itself use dynamic loading to load each sample, so if you run into trouble, you may wish to take a look of the sample code;

2. The following post will also give you more insight on what to watch out when using dynamic loading:

http://essentialobjects.com/Forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1179#5018

It's important to note that these are information available that we hope can be useful for you; They do not mean our support officially cover this issue. Dynamic loading itself is far beyond the scope of our support.

Thanks