Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

[EO.Grid] Keyboard navigation how to excluding columns + TextBoxColumn MultiLine limited resize Options
diego
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 10:21:05 AM
Groups: Member

I have 2 minor problems I'm trying to address using the EO:Grid

The first one is about the keyboard navigation feature. I was able to enable it using the well documented EnableKeyboardNavigation attribute and it works good so far. My grid now got quite articulated and for reasons I didn't still inspect deep enough, the keyboard navigation just skip some specific columns while pressing the tab key. That's not a real problem because actually I didn't want those columns to be involved in the edit strategy. I guess one reason might be because I programmatically (server side) change the cell.Column.CellStyle.CssClass appending new styles according to some conditions. [update]I found out the reason was just because FixedColumnCount was set and those columns were automatically excluded[/update] Anyway my real question is: there's a way to explicitly declare a specific column as excluded from the keyboard navigation? any other way to accomplish this result?

The second problem is about the <eo:TextBoxColumn> with TextBoxMode="MultiLine"
When the cell goes in edit mode, a multiline textarea is supposed to appear and let you eventually resize it both horizontally/vertically with no boundaries. That's how it works in Chrome [update]that's how it workED(!) in Chrome few days ago and not anymore. I really liked that behaviour but now both the browsers behave like I describe here for Firefox.. any tip to extend the resize potential beyond the columns boundaries?[/update]. Unfortunately Firefox (v27.0.1) just let me resize the textarea till the column boundary on the horizontal dimension. Can this be considered an issue worth to be solved?

I apologize if this time I couldn't craft any screenshot to better show what I mean, anyway I hope I was clear enough. In case something is still ambiguos I will eventually add further details.
diego
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 11:25:38 AM

I decided to make a video for the second issue because it was a bit confusing. Actually it seems Chrome still behaves correctly and I was wrong when I said it changed since last time I checked.

Here there are my videos to show you what I mean when resizing a cell of a multiline textbox column

Chrome : http://youtu.be/hLAnzr77KDc
Firefox : http://youtu.be/N70yMNYlVnY
eo_support
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 12:54:23 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

For the first issue, only fixed columns are excluded from keyboard navigation. There are no other mechanism to exclude a column from the keyboard navigation. Sorry about it!

For the second issue, yes, Chrome should allow you to resize the textbox. That's the default behavior and I do not believe we did anything special to turn it off.

Please feel free to let us know if you still have any questions.

Thanks!
diego
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 1:23:21 PM

I could read the reply only this late because I was busy during weekend. Thanks for your support of course.

So here is the summary..

The 1st issue: it's something I can't control because the keyboard navigation mode was not intended to let you choose to eventually exclude any arbitrary visible column (excluding the fixed columns strategy that can't be used for this scenario because they can't admit discontinuity). I tried the path of client side events but there's nothing like cellSelected to skip according to conditions.

The 2nd issue: it's not very clear to me what you said about the second issue. Yes Chrome gives me full control while resizing a multiline textbox cell but Firefox still doesn't (For a better idea just watch the videos I posted above previously). I just want to be sure I did everything I could to improve my grid implementation. I should give up with this point? the rendered cell just can't be easily accomodated to better fit Firefox restrictions and allow the user to correctly resize it?
eo_support
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 3:02:17 PM

Hi,

For the 1st issue: Yes. Your understanding is correct. There is no way to selectively skip certain columns.

For the 2nd issue: I see what you are saying. FireFox behaves differently than Chrome because we rendered slightly different code for FireFox due to a bug in early version of FireFox (if we didn't do that then FireFox won't display cursor in the textbox which is worse than not being able to resize beyond the cell). However we have verified this bug is now fixed by FireFox. So we will update our code accordingly. So in our next build FireFox should behave the same as Chrome for multi-line Grid textboxes.

Thanks!
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:18:03 PM

Hi,

We have posted a new build that should work the same way in FireFox as in Chrome. You can download the new build from our download page.

Thanks!
diego
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:02:07 AM

I tried now the new build and I confirm it solves the multiline textbox resizing discrepancy Chrome vs Firefox. Thanks.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:21:41 AM

Great. Thanks for confirming the fix!