Logo
My Account |  Site Map | Contact Us  
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

HTML to PDF --> Fonts Embedding / Filesize / Font Printing Options
ravi
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 5:45:35 PM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/25/2017
Posts: 10
In recent support request in order to reduce file size I was told to use the option EmbedFont = false. When I do , I get file size reduction but I don't see popular fonts like Times New Roman , Arial , Courier printing bold in the document.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 10:00:57 AM
Rank: Administration
Groups: Administration

Joined: 5/27/2007
Posts: 20,263
Hi,

This is normal. This is exactly why PDF file embed fonts data by default. Without embedded font data, the only guaranteed fonts are the so called "standard 14" font that every PDF reader must support. If you use any font beyond those fonts, then it depends on the reader's implementation.

Thanks!
ravi
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 10:14:10 AM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/25/2017
Posts: 10
eo_support wrote:
Hi,

This is normal. This is exactly why PDF file embed fonts data by default. Without embedded font data, the only guaranteed fonts are the so called "standard 14" font that every PDF reader must support. If you use any font beyond those fonts, then it depends on the reader's implementation.

Thanks!


With new EO version pdf size increased by 40%, to solve this problem I was told not to embed fonts. So what other options do I have to reduce file size. Also why the pdf file size increased on the New EO version.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 10:49:06 AM
Rank: Administration
Groups: Administration

Joined: 5/27/2007
Posts: 20,263
Hi,

You can send us the two PDF files and we can look into the file and see if we can find what contributed the most for the file increase. See here for how to send test files to us:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/forum/test_project.aspx

Thanks!
ravi
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 3:13:16 PM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/25/2017
Posts: 10
Getting Access Denied when I click on the link
eo_support
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 3:21:30 PM
Rank: Administration
Groups: Administration

Joined: 5/27/2007
Posts: 20,263
ravi wrote:
Getting Access Denied when I click on the link


My apology. Updated the original reply to have the correct link. We did receive your files and will reply again as soon as we find anything.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:17:24 AM
Rank: Administration
Groups: Administration

Joined: 5/27/2007
Posts: 20,263
Hi,

We have looked into the files you sent to us. The file size difference was caused by embedding font. Font data is not embedded in the smaller file.

With PDF files, you either have smaller file without font data, and may run into problems when you display/print the file; or have a bigger file with font data so that it can be displayed and printed correctly everywhere. The later is exactly why PDF is "portable" and so popular.

Thanks!
ravi
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:18:53 AM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/25/2017
Posts: 10
eo_support wrote:
Hi,

We have looked into the files you sent to us. The file size difference was caused by embedding font. Font data is not embedded in the smaller file.

With PDF files, you either have smaller file without font data, and may run into problems when you display/print the file; or have a bigger file with font data so that it can be displayed and printed correctly everywhere. The later is exactly why PDF is "portable" and so popular.

Thanks!



I sent another set of pdf. Both rendered with similar settings ( Font embed turned on). Old EO is 188kb vs new EO 223 kb
ravi
Posted: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 11:02:35 AM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/25/2017
Posts: 10
Hello Support Team,

I sent pdf's Old EO 188kb vs new EO 223 kb couple of weeks back. Any update on this.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 3:45:54 PM
Rank: Administration
Groups: Administration

Joined: 5/27/2007
Posts: 20,263
Hi,

I apologize for the delay. We did receive the files but we are still working on this issue. We will reply here again as soon as we have an update.

Thanks!
eo_support
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 5:20:00 PM
Rank: Administration
Groups: Administration

Joined: 5/27/2007
Posts: 20,263
Hi,

We have finished analyzing the files and we did notice unnecessary duplicating contents in the file. However we have not been able to reproduce this problem here. Can you send us the HTML source file that you used to create those two files so that we can investigate further? We could just eliminate the duplicate contents on our end --- but we also need to understand how it was created at the first place.

Thanks!
ravi
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:19:16 PM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/25/2017
Posts: 10
eo_support wrote:
Hi,

We have finished analyzing the files and we did notice unnecessary duplicating contents in the file. However we have not been able to reproduce this problem here. Can you send us the HTML source file that you used to create those two files so that we can investigate further? We could just eliminate the duplicate contents on our end --- but we also need to understand how it was created at the first place.

Thanks!


I have sent a sample project and it has html in the local database that I used to generate Pdf's
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 5:38:15 PM
Rank: Administration
Groups: Administration

Joined: 5/27/2007
Posts: 20,263
Thank you very much for the sample project. We were able to find out the root cause of the duplicated contents. This will be fixed in our next build. We will reply again when the new build is posted.
ravi
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 5:40:33 PM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/25/2017
Posts: 10
eo_support wrote:
Thank you very much for the sample project. We were able to find out the root cause of the duplicated contents. This will be fixed in our next build. We will reply again when the new build is posted.



Could you please explain what do you mean by duplicated contents.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:09:53 PM
Rank: Administration
Groups: Administration

Joined: 5/27/2007
Posts: 20,263
ravi wrote:
Could you please explain what do you mean by duplicated contents.


The header/footer contents information has been stored twice in the PDF file. We have found out why this occurs and in the next build they will only be stored once.
ravi
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:03:34 PM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/25/2017
Posts: 10
Thank you for the info. Could you please let me know if you have the ETA for the next build
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:13:55 AM
Rank: Administration
Groups: Administration

Joined: 5/27/2007
Posts: 20,263
It should be out in about two weeks.

Thanks!
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:44:08 AM
Rank: Administration
Groups: Administration

Joined: 5/27/2007
Posts: 20,263
Hi,

This is just to let you know that we have posted a new build that should fix this problem. You can download the new build from our download page. Please take a look and let us know how it goes.

Thanks!


You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.