Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Embedding EO browser into wpf window Options
Srirangam K
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 3:03:03 AM
Groups: Member

I want to embed EO browser into my wpf windows application. Could you pls clarify the below queries
1. Will it take Google chrome settings set by user?
2. Do we need to explicitly set each and every settings through API to mimic chrome settings?
3. When security patches released by Google chrome, will it automatically taken by embedded EO browser?
4. How frequently new EO DLL will be released? Since ours is windows application, we need to bundle EO DLL into our msi package. In case if EO DLL is released very frequently, it will be difficult for us to release our msi to our clients.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:49:47 PM
Groups: Administration

Srirangam K wrote:
I want to embed EO browser into my wpf windows application. Could you pls clarify the below queries
1. Will it take Google chrome settings set by user?

No. EO.WebBrowser is based on Chromium's source code. However it is completely self contained and independent. It will not interact with any Google Chrome' setting.

Srirangam K wrote:
2. Do we need to explicitly set each and every settings through API to mimic chrome settings?

No. And Google Chrome and Chromium are not the same. Google Chrome is the whole browser. Chromium is the browser engine. There are settings that only Google Chrome has. For example, Google Chrome can log into a Google account and sync bookmarks. Those are not feature of the core browser engine so not part of EO.WebBrowser.

Srirangam K wrote:
3. When security patches released by Google chrome, will it automatically taken by embedded EO browser?

Not automatically. We regularly resync our code with Chromium's codebase. The patches will not be in EO.WebBrowser until we go through that.

Srirangam K wrote:
4. How frequently new EO DLL will be released? Since ours is windows application, we need to bundle EO DLL into our msi package. In case if EO DLL is released very frequently, it will be difficult for us to release our msi to our clients.

We do post update rather frequently. However you do not have to upgrade when we upgrade. Most of our users, especially corporate users, prefer to stay on a stable version for quite a while before starting the next update cycle.
Srirangam K
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 5:55:22 AM

Srirangam K wrote:

EO Admin:

No. And Google Chrome and Chromium are not the same. Google Chrome is the whole browser. Chromium is the browser engine. There are settings that only Google Chrome has. For example, Google Chrome can log into a Google account and sync bookmarks. Those are not feature of the core browser engine so not part of EO.WebBrowser.

Srirangam K - Reply:

I clearly know the difference between Google Chrome & Chromium. Google chrome has been written on top of Chromium open source project. But the problem here is that the users of our product would have installed Google Chrome and they dont know anything about chromium. So Users will do the settings only in Google chrome and they will be expecting that the embedded browser (Chromium based browser e.g EO browser) in our application will be taking the settings from Google Chrome. For simple example, users would have set proxy server in Google Chrome settings, they would expect the same proxy will be used by browser embedded within our application. But in EO browser case, we should explicitly ask the users to set the proxy in our application and our application should expose any settings page for getting proxy input from user? If yes, for all browser settings, do we have to ask users to explicitly set for our application too?

Srirangam K wrote:

EO Admin:

We do post update rather frequently. However you do not have to upgrade when we upgrade. Most of our users, especially corporate users, prefer to stay on a stable version for quite a while before starting the next update cycle.

Srirangam K - Reply:

We have only releases in April, July, November (3 releases) per year. since it is windows desktop application and it requires lots of pre preparation for a release and prior client communications before releasing our product to end customers. Hence we have limited releases per year. In case if EO releases an important updates during December, then this updated DLL can be incorporated into our product only during our April release. even though it is important update from EO, we cannot release our product immediately. That is the reason, I am more interested in the question of how frequently EO will update its DLL.

Question #2 about carrying over Google chrome settings to EO and Question # 4 about frequency of DLL update are the deciding factors for us to decide whether our product can leverage EO browser or not.

Hence I want to get more details about those two questions.
eo_support
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 11:18:09 AM

Hi,

For questions #2

The short answers is No. We do NOT carry Google Chrome's settings.

The long answer is maybe, it depends on the settings. For proxy settings particular, this setting is managed by Windows, not by Google Chrome. So if the end user change proxy settings in Google Chrome. The user has in fact changed the proxy settings for Windows. The new setting will be automatically picked up by other applications that read Windows' proxy settings as well, for example, Internet Explorer. EO.WebBrowser will read Windows proxy setting too. So it should automatically picks it up too.

EO.WebBrowser does provide option for you to override the proxy setting maintained by Windows. So obviously if you explicitly override this in your code, then it will not fetch Windows' proxy setting.

For other settings that are explicitly maintained by Google Chrome, such as the current logged in Google account, then it will not have anything to do with EO.WebBrowser.

For questions #4

We post updates much more frequently than your release schedule. You can get an idea about how frequently we post update by checking our change logs page:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/ChangeLog.aspx

As mentioned, when we post a new build is one thing, whether you update to the new build is a totally different thing. That part is completely up to you.

Hope this clears up. Please feel free to let us know if you still have any more questions.

Thanks!

sebaot
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 5:04:24 PM

I've embedded it into WPF for 10 years with zero showstoppers. But our corporate isn't allowed to even use Google-translate thanks to NSA, so carrying over Google Settings is a big no-no. I wouldn't recommend it. Like you, we've got a superslow release cycle, so releasing something with issues would suck. I've thankfully never had the misfortune to find myself in that situation with the EO components, so I wouldn't worry about the built frequency - if it works and passes your tests, you're good to go.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 9:34:25 PM

Thanks for sharing!
Srirangam K
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:31:35 AM

EO Admin,
Is it possible to have your support contact phone number? So that we can clarify all our queries and can make a better decision.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 12:31:23 PM

Srirangam K wrote:
EO Admin,
Is it possible to have your support contact phone number? So that we can clarify all our queries and can make a better decision.

Due to the technical nature of our product, we do not offer tech support over the phone. Very often in order to troubleshoot an issue, we need our customers to send us error code, exact error message, log files, stack traces, screenshots, test projects/files, etc. None of those can be effectively communicated over the phone. So while providing a phone number may make our customer feel good, it rarely do solve problems for them and in the end it would be a lose/lose for both of us since the problem doesn't get addressed in an efficient manner. Because of this we do not provide support contact phone number.

If you wish to have private conversation with us, you can either send us private message through the forum, or use "Contact Us" page to contact us through email.