Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

EO TreeView vs ASP TreeView Options
Saed
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:19:35 PM
Groups: Member

Hi there,
So far, I've used a couple of your controls: Menu and Calender, and the enhancement over default ASP counterparts is crystal clear. Now I'm moving to TreeView (and then GridView). Putting both versions to practice reveals no obvious difference; neither in functionally nor in look & feel, except for implemented naming convention of default grid lines. True that your TV features a RightToLeft property as with other EO Controls, but ASP TV handles that without extra effort.

Speaking of RTL, when switching direction, both TV versions change direction as expected but use LTR grid lines, since no RTL set is provided with either version. Consequently, I had to create a compatible RTL set, which forced me to dive deeper into utilised naming convention by each version! Now it is OK, regardless of direction, which is dynamically controlled.

Aside from of this, how does your TV differ from ASP TV? I mean, is there a significant improvement over ASP TV to justify dropping ASP TV to the favour of yours?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Saed Hamdan
"Man may be destroyed but not defeated" -Hemmingway
eo_support
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 6:40:09 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Just like the Menu and Calendar, our TreeView and Grid provides much more features, much more customization options and client side JavaScript interface. For example, you can do drag and drop, in place editing with our TreeView, not with ASP.NET TreeView.

Most people have a specific feature requirement in mind and then see whether it can be done with our product. So I would recommend you to take a look of our online demo, and if any of the demo catches your eye, if might be worth for you to switch from ASP.NET TreeView to ours; If none catches your eye, then it's most likely ASP.NET TreeView has satisfied all your needs, in which case I would imagine it makes no sense for you to switch for nothing.

Thanks!
Saed
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 12:37:27 PM

I'm in the process of utilising CallbackPanels with TreeViews, which opened my eyes to the richness of ClientSide functionalities your TV supports, unlike ASP counterpart. The Drag & Drop as well as in-place Edit features sound great too.

Consequently, I'm seriously considering switching, despite the fact that I might need to rework most of the code I developed for ASP TV, since I noticed differences in how your TV handles Node properties and Events.

Thanks for such a nice product.

Regards,

Saed Hamdan
eo_support
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 12:57:21 PM

Glad you see that and thanks for the compliment!
Saed
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 9:54:45 AM

Performance issues:
Just to recap on the above, I created 2 identical pages, with each featuring a TreeView, 3 CallbackPanels and a set of different asp Controls (DDLs, TBs & Buttons).

I used ASP TV in one page and EO TV in the other. Both trees are populated on demand utilising same strategy and share same DB data source. Then I ran each page many times and noted performance.

ASP TV was slightly faster in populating on demand. However, with ExpandAll(), EO TV fall remarkably behind ASP TV! Casting selected Node particulars to be displayed into TBs, also reported a performance advantage to ASP TV. Add, Edit and Delete Nodes that are governed by asp Buttons almost result in similar performance.

All handlers are server-side--no client-side scripting, with postbacks being controlled by CallbackPanels.

Any comments?

Regards,

Saed Hamdan
eo_support
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:41:34 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. However it is unrealistic to expect our product to perform as fast as ASP TV while still offers you all the additional features. Simply put, our product is an alternative with certain trade offs. While we understand you switched from ASP TV so you wish to retain all the advantages of ASP TV, but that is simply not possible.

Thanks