Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Uploader: filtering unwanted file-types in file-picker dialog Options
ppages
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 7:17:14 PM
Groups: Member

rather than show all files in the file-picker dialog and then give the user an error message when they pick the wrong type, I would like the dialog to only display files with Allowed extensions, as is done with the CuteSoft AjaxUploader (I am evaluating several products). Is there a way to do this?

thanks,

Pete Pages
eo_support
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 8:01:14 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

I believe CuteSoft implemented this with Adobe Flash. You can verify this by disabling Flash and you will see it falls back to the standard dialogs, which would not filter the file types.

Currently we do not rely on Flash because it may cause inconsistence between different users (between user who has Flash and who does not have Flash), different platforms (for example, a Windows system and a Mac OSX system) and possibly different browsers. It also can add complexity to your code because if you use certain features that requires Flash (I believe they have a few features related to file name and file size rely on Flash as well), you would want to be prepared for users who do not have Flash installed and code for those scenario accordingly.

Instead our product is a 100% DHTML and JavaScript solution. This ensures all the features are always available to all users. It may provide slightly less features, but all of them will always work consistently. We believe this to be a good balancing point between features, reliability, usability to end user and usability to the developers.

Thanks!
ppages
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:17:05 AM
Groups: Member

Thanks. Although I like that functionality in the CuteSoft product, I have found - in the course of my evaluation - that there are lots of little unexpected quirks (freezes, browser exceptions, etc) that make me feel less confident with it. I like your "guns and butter" philosophy of putting a priority on robustness.

regards,

Pete
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:24:56 AM
Groups: Administration

Great to hear that! Please feel free to let us know if you have any more questions.