Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

TreeView Renders Empty <STYLE> Tags -- Causing IE Page Problems Options
wooddreams
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:38:51 PM
Groups: Member

I am using multiple EO.TreeView controls on a page (sometimes as many as 30 or 40).

When the TreeView is rendered, it outputs a <STYLE> tag.
When the first is rendered, it has a group of EO styles:

<style type="text/css">.eo_tag_style{}</style>
<style type="text/css">
.eo_css_skin_MSDN1 {background-color:transparent;border-bottom-style:none;border-left-style:none;border-right-style:none;border-top-style:none;color:black;padding-bottom:2px;padding-left:2px;padding-right:2px;padding-top:2px}
</style>

Each successing control (or maybe it is all controls) also renders an empty <STYLE> tag.
<style type="text/css">
</style>

The problem is that all these empty style tags quickly exceed the IE limit of 30 style tags (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262161) and all subsequent tags are ignored. This causes problems of other controls not be rendered correctly on my pages.

Would it be possible to update the TreeView control to not emit these empty style tags?

Thanks.

Larry
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:49:50 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

We will look into it to see if it is possible to merge these style blocks. However I would expect this to be a relatively low priority issue because you have so many TreeView on a single page, which is not only a highly unusual scenario, but also is not practical for most people because the extra performance overhead and end user usability problems associated with it. So obviously even if we address the style issue, all other issues will still be there.

Thanks!
wooddreams
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:49:05 PM

This is a high priority to me so I really hope you can look into it. I wouldn't think doing something to not render an empty style tab would be too difficult. I am not concerned about merging style blocks which I could see as being much more difficult. The problem is the string of empty style blocks which are generated. I can send the View Source output if you need it.

I have seen neither any usability nor performance issues with using the number of treeviews that I have on my pages. The large number comes from repeated small sets on multiple tabs within the page. My only issues is that the tabs themselves are not visually rendered correctly because their style is rendered after the EO styles.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:08:17 PM

Hi,

I understand it can be a high priority issue for you but you also need to understand our situation. It is generally not a good thing for us to make changes for a particular unusual situation for a single customer. Every customer is very important to us, but at the same time, every change we do have to go through the whole cycle, and if we are too relax on what change we make on an already stable product, we are risking the reliability and stability of the whole product and that would hurt a lot of other customers. So we have to maintain a balance there.

Thanks!
wooddreams
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:36:17 PM

I do understand. Like all of us, you need to look at the risks in any change.

I am just requesting that you look at the limited change of preventing empty <STYLE> tags from being rendered and assess if it is a localized, minimal risk change which can be made in the next cycle.

I will be glad to test it for you.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 7:07:24 PM

wooddreams wrote:
I am just requesting that you look at the limited change of preventing empty <STYLE> tags from being rendered and assess if it is a localized, minimal risk change which can be made in the next cycle.

Yes. We will look into it and hopefully it is localized, in that case it should not be difficult for us to make the change. Thanks for understanding!

wooddreams wrote:
I will be glad to test it for you.

That's great. We appreciate that!