Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Several questions about Essentialobjects – File explorer Options
Philippe HEURTEL
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:16:51 AM
Groups: Member

Hello,

I work for one of the biggest bank in France. We are curently developping a service for customers enabling them to store documents (pictures, digitized contracts and so on). Then I tried your tool Essentialobjects – File explorer on line, but I have some questions about it:
. Is there a download feature? (It seems to be no).
. Is it possible to disable the populate feature of the component? Indeed, the loading of folders content is too long each time a folder is selected.
. How are managed the checked files on server side (on at client side thru Javascript)? I would like to use these checkboxes also for another purpose than deleting files.
. Is it possible to manage the file tree not directly based on a real OS file system, but on a virtual file tree? All our files are indeed placed in the same repository without folder structure; the virtual file tree can be provided by a database source or by an XML file.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Have a nice day.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:27:45 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

What you are looking for is a set of individual controls, not a single FileExplorer control. The FileExplorer control is built as a single control so that you can use it to browser server side files, however it is made up of several separate controls. Specifically, it makes extensive use of TreeView, Grid and AJAXUploader. If you want more flexibility than what the FileExplorer provides, you will need to work with those controls directly.

Now to your questions:

1. You can easily implement a download feature with our Grid control. You will want to go over the Grid documentation for more details about how to populate the Grid. Download itself is not a feature. In order to allow user to download, you will need to generate the correct link;

2. You can turn off populate on demand on the TreeView. By default this feature is off;

3. Please read the Grid documentation first. It will be very hard to try to explain those to you if you do not know how our Grid works;

4. You can populate the TreeView anyway you like, including from code, from DB, from XML file, etc. Please see here for more details about data binding:

http://doc.essentialobjects.com/library/1/menucommon/databinding/databinding_overview.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks!