Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

ProgressBar UseCallback option. Options
Vagyok C4
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 10:49:44 AM
Groups: Member

I would like to see the ProgressBar have an option to use a callback to update it's value.

It would create the code on the server and on the client so that it exposes an event on the server to provide the value of the progressbar.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 10:58:02 AM
Groups: Administration

Good idea! Thanks for your feedback!
Vagyok C4
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:01:02 PM

I think the progress bar should expose a PushValue, PushMin, PushMax methods that when called, send the appropriate javascript to the client and then flushes the Response Write Queue to ensure a real-time update.

I think that's all that needs to be exposed to the developer as far as server side real-time update push.

Your Thoughts?
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:38:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. As I have explained in another thread to your original question, the real problem is not whether the ProgressBar can call the server, the problem is whether the server code can response the ProgressBar's call. ASP.NET has intentionally made your server code to works like "single threaded" for all requests that comes from the same client (the same session ID), in most cases this helps because this way you don't need to worry about multi-thread synchronizations in your server code. However it does not work in your scenario. We will look into it and see if we can find an easy and intuitive solution for that. The bottom line is no matter how we implement it, you will have to deal with multi-threaded programming as long as you want to use such a feature.
Vagyok C4
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:30:12 PM

I understand the threading issues with regards to the client PULLing data from the server while it's busy.

What I'm talking about is the server PUSHing the update to the client while this long running process is going. We should be able to update the PushValue property and the control should PUSH the update to the client which would update in real-time.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:42:18 PM

Hi,

I've answered your question in your original thread:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/Forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=1158&#1158

Thanks
Vagyok C4
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:10:44 PM

The BLOG Document describing this functionality that I describe can be found at this link:
Progress Bar Translated
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2007 6:32:04 AM

Please do not make duplicate post and only post in your original thread.