Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Menu: Javascript error after Upgrade to Latest Version Options
Joe Garro
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:50:38 AM
Groups: Member

After updating my EOWeb.dll file I now get a javascript error on my Menu object when the page loads. I replaced the dll back to the previous version and the error goes away.

Please help

Thanks
Joe

The javascript error message is: 'null' is null or not an object.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:55:45 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi Joe,

Thanks for letting us know. Can you make a small sample that reproduces the error? We will take a look immediately as soon as we can see the problem.

Thanks
Joe Garro
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:14:06 AM

Forgot to mention that I'm using the menu within a DotNetNuke website and the EO.Web Menu is in a UserControl.

I created a new aspx page and added the user control with the menu in it and the error is not there. But it is there when the main site loads with the user control in it. This did work without error with the previous version of the Menu and is currently running in our live site. The error is in our development site.

Let me know what you want me to send.
Thanks again
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:27:01 AM

Hi Joe,

That certainly makes it more complicated. Is it possible for you to put the site online so that we can see the error at here?

Thanks
Joe Garro
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:39:18 AM

I'll need to get an external IP Address setup for it, not sure long long I'll need to wait for it.

The reason I'm upgrading is to be able to use the Dialog Popup object. Is there another previous version of EO.Web with the Dialog Popup included that I can try in the mean time? The dll version I'm using with the error is 4.0.34.2.

Or I can send you the HTML Source if that's what you wantd to see?

Thanks
Joe
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:48:55 AM

Hi Joe,

All builds on the server are pretty recent, so I am not sure whether there is one that has the dialog but not causing the error. HTML source won't really be very helpful. Once thing that you can do is to enable script debugging, then run the page in debugger and let us know the exact place of the error occurs and copy a chunk of javascript around the fault location so that we can use it to match our source code, that way we may be able to find out where the error occurs and make some sense out of it.

Thanks
Joe Garro
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 12:35:45 PM

Error: b has no properties
Source File: http://www-dev/eo_web.ashx?id=5843e9a6-2f89-40c9-bcaa-c3e6dd990f06
Line: 6

[removed by admin]
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 12:41:20 PM

Hey, that is a huge line ---- in fact it's a whole script file. Can you help us to narrow down a little bit? The debugger should highlight the exact place where the error occurs.
Joe Garro
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 12:46:58 PM

Unfortunately that's all on one line in the debugger and it's highlighted....go figure. Is there a certain debugger you'd like me to use maybe?
Joe Garro
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:06:18 PM

OK, used visual studio to debug.

It Highlights

b.add_endRequest(a)

as the problem.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:41:14 PM

Hi Joe,

Do you use ASP.NET AJAX? It appears the following code returns null:

Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager.getInstance()

This code should not return null because as long as you use ASP.NET AJAX, PageRequestManager is initialized first thing when the page load. So I would try to compare a "normal" page with ASP.NET AJAX and your page first. You can create an ASP.NET AJAX project, putting in a ScriptManager and some other controls then see the rendered source, you will see a segment of JavaScript code calls Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager._initialize, everything else will be after that, at which point getInstance should no longer return null. If that reveals something, you can then just put some test script code at various point of your page to verify whether it has been sucessfully initialized, or somehow it get lost midway.

Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager.getInstance() returns null will give you serious trouble, not just to our menu. I believe that function is also called when the page submits, at which point you would get another script error that is totally unrelated to us.

Thanks
Joe Garro
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:59:12 PM

Yes Dotnetnuke has ASP AJAX. I'm not finding any of the code segments you mention above in the rendered source. I will explore the source of Nuke to see.

Just wondering why it would work with a previous version of the EO.Web dll without any errors and now it doesn't work with the new version? Wouldn't it have been a problem before if it was an ASP.NET AJAX problem?

Thanks for you help
Joe
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:05:26 PM

You might have been using an old version that does not ASP.NET AJAX at all. Our old versions do not talk with ASP.NET AJAX, where the new one does, but unfortuntately it taked itself into trouble. :)

As for seeing the rendered code, you might want to try with a brank new ASP.NET AJAX project, that way you get a clean start.
Joe Garro
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:19:10 AM

Thanks for your help. I seemed to have stumbled upon a solution. Since I did not see any of the source code you mentioned above (PageRequestManager._initialize etc) I decided to see what would happen when I added a scriptmanager to the main page of the site...and go figure I didn't get the error message of only one scriptmanager allowed but instead the error message goes away. Interesting...but I'll take it. :)

Thanks again for your quick responses and help.
Joe
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 6:20:29 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing!