Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Username/password support for Url property of Downloader control Options
Eric T
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:12:02 PM
Groups: Member

Would it be technically possible to have username/password support for the Downloader control's Url property to make HTTP basic authentication requests? I'm not sure how much of that control is client-side versus server-side.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:31:48 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

That's a very interesting question. It should be possible if you set the downloader's Url property directly. In that case all the downloader does is to help you to pull that Url from where it belongs ---- if that Url requires authentication, then user will have to enter user name/password to proceed. However in all other cases the actual download goes through the downloder's own HTTP Handler and you can not set basic authentication on that handler because the same handler is being used for a lot of things by our library.

Thanks!
Eric T
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:01:28 PM
Groups: Member

I was looking for a way to bake in username and password. We have a hi-resolution image library hosted on 3rd party servers that uses HTTP basic authentication. I was hopeful that we could put a Downloader control and have the 3rd party username and password hidden from user view, but it doesn't appear that's possible. Thank you for your prompt reply.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:18:56 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

There is no way to do that without having to routing the file data through your server as far as we know. As long as user pulls the file directly from the 3rd party servers, the user will either have to enter the user name password or see the user name password you "pre-entered" for them.

Thanks!