Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Licensing Question - Server Name Options
stas
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:46:18 AM
Groups: Member

Hello -

I'm developing an Intranet application for one of our clients. I've just purchased Standard License for the EO.Web Control Suite, logged in to create a license file and I'm a bit lost since it appears that the file is tied to the server name. The question - what to do if I don't know the server/domain name in advance?

Also, with the project being an Intranet application, it is quite possible that the system administrator at the client site may change the server name at some point. Will the license become invalid? If "yes", how to handle this situation? I would imagine that generating new license file is not the best option, since the app shouldn't depend on the server name.

And the last question - do we have to purchase separate licenses for test and production servers?

Thanks!

Stas
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:42:03 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi stas,

Thanks for your business. Binding to a host name one of the major restriction of the standard license. And yes, the license becomes invalid when the actual host name does not match. In that case you will need see if you can fit in one of the scenario describe below, if not, you will need to contact us so that we can change the host name for you.

As separate license for test and production server, generally no. We do not count test server/dev server when counting "servers". The major restriction here is still the domain name issue. Usually there are two schemes:

1. Use the real name for production server and use localhost for development and test. Any valid license works with localhost;

2. Use sub domain name of the same domain name, one for production, and one for test. For example, you can use "yourdomain" for production server and "test1.yourdomain" for test server and "dev1.yourdomain" for production server. You would license "yourdomain" and all the direct sub domain will work;

Please let us know if you have any other question.

Thanks
stas
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:13:01 AM

Hi -

Thanks a lot for the quick response! I appreciate it.

It looks like a license bound to a server name will be an obstacle for us and I wonder if other types of licenses have that restriction, specifically Developers license. It says "Unlimited number of sites/applications" in the description - does it mean that the license file is not bound to a server name or it means I will have to generate license file for every particular server name? In any case - is this possible to upgrade the Standard license to the Developers license?

Thanks again!
Stas
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:18:27 AM

No. Developer license does not have this restriction. Standard license is the only one that restricts host names. And it is possible for you to upgrade to developer license. In order to upgrade to developer license, you will click "View Upgrade Options" and then select an upgrade. You will then be able to check out directly from there.
stas
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:34:30 AM

Wow, that was quick! Thanks a lot for the upgrade coupon - I've already made the purchase, downloaded the new license and everything seems to be working just fine! Thanks!
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:39:56 AM

You are welcome! It's always a pleasure to help our client.