Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Windows Server 2008 Beta 3 Options
Steve Schofield
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:56:02 AM
Groups: Member

I'm working on deploying Windows Server 2008. We currently use version 2.7.4 AspxLabRuntime . Our site loads, however the control does not load sometimes, other times just the text loads and on occasion it fully loads. Have you tested this version on Beta3 or June CTP of Windows Server 2008.

Steve Schofield
steve@orcsweb.com
eo_support
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 6:44:45 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi Steve,

Windows server 2008 runs .NET 3.5 and IIS 7, neither existed when 2.7.4 was released. So there was no way for us to support them at that time. We only started to support them when Vista was released. Our current version should support both well. One thing you can try is to enable physical script file, you will specify a JavaScript file directory and the control will then generates all .js files into that directory. The help file of your version contains details about how to do it.

Thanks
Steve Schofield
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 8:46:55 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. .NET 3.5 is not built into Windows Server 2008. I'm trying to run this is .NET 2.0 framework. IIS 7 offers 2 modes of application pools, Classic which is like IIS 6 and Integrated mode, which is new to IIS7.

I'll check out the documentation to see how to perform the steps you provided. If I upgraded to the latest version of Asplabruntime, would our current site still perform or do you expect code changes?
eo_support
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 8:55:16 AM

Hi Steve,

Yes. Please expect code changes. Since the company name has changed, the DLL name, class namespace has also changed. All the features are still there, but objects are now with different names.

Also, your current license will not work. The new version no longer support registry license keys. So if you do decide to move forward, we would also need to work those out.

Thanks
Steve Schofield
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 4:14:21 PM

I've been trying this with no luck. I originally had <add name="AspxLabRuntime" type="AspxLab.WebControls.Runtime,AspxLab.WebControls" /> in my web.config to initialize the Runtime. As I read the docs, this can be in the Application_Start method. I commented out this statement in my web.config and move them to my Global.asax. This is what I get. Am out of luck?

AspxLab.WebControls.Runtime.Initialize must be called in your Global class's constructor.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: AspxLab.WebControls.Runtime.Initialize must be called in your Global class's constructor.

Source Error:

Line 10: Sub Application_Start(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
Line 11:
Line 12: AspxLab.WebControls.Runtime.Initialize(Me)
Line 13: AspxLab.WebControls.BaseMenu.Initialize(Me,"~/images")
Line 14:

eo_support
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 4:19:33 PM

Hi Steve,

I apologize...that is not what I was refering to. What you had in your web.config was fine. However you need to add another appSetting entry like this:

<appSettings>
<add key="aspxlab_ScriptLocation" value="~/somewhere" />
</appSettings>

That should instruct AspxLab.WebControls.dll to generates a bunch of .js files in that directory and reference those .js files afterwards.

Thanks
Steve Schofield
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:04:22 PM

Thanks for the clarification. This works on the 1st hit. When I browse other pages, the menu shows up, but the background is gone. Just the black text is displayed. If I look in the html source, the JS path is correct. Any tips on that behavior?
eo_support
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:07:49 PM

Hi Steve,

I am not sure what would cause that. There should be no difference regarding where the javascript files are as long as browser can get them. Do you have the page online so that we can take a look?

Thanks
Steve Schofield
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 6:23:01 PM

Contact me off-list at steve AT orcsweb.com. Also feel free to IM me at that address. I can provide an online example.