Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Ajax Uploader Problems Options
Brian Smith
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 6:15:10 AM
Groups: Member

Hello, I'm having a few problems with Ajax Uploader. This is on a dev machine running locally , so this may be the problem source. The machine is pretty top of the line though, however, so performance shouldn't be a bottleneck.

Some other notes are IIS5 (Windows XP)
I'm setting the Temp Storage folder to System.IO.Path.GetTempPath();

1) I get a lot of issues with uploads hanging for no reason. If I sit long enough, it will finish going through, but progress doesn't update (and it takes an extra 20 seconds or so). The file size seems to not be a consideration on this (1KB behaves like 10MB on this). It looks like it hangs after the first update of the progress bar.

2) Almost 100% of the time, the second file I upload will not appear in the file listing until I upload a third. It is only the second uploaded file (with one input box shown on the screen). The first shows fine, the third and on show fine.

3) After I perform my action, the file listing will not clear without a refresh of the page in some fashion. There seems to be no easy way to do this on the back end either with this control. What is the recommended action to clear this list (the array in the backend appears to be clean after that first postback, but the page text isn't)?

4) I have a very large problem with The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\machine_name\ASPNET\Local Settings\Temp\eouploader.94094572-867a-4ee4-bffe-1f58af877b01.1.data' because it is being used by another process.

This seems to be an issue with the files not being released by the uploader in time. If I wait a few seconds (about 6 or 7) before performaning anything using the files, it works fine every time, however.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 6:47:38 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi Sauls,

Some of these problems seem to related to the fact that you have a dual CPU system. Is it possible for you to try on a single CPU box and see if the problem persists? These definitely look like bugs, but if a single CPU box works fine, then we will know where to look. Running it local should not matter.

For performance consideration, you would also want to use a dedicated temp path instead of System.IO.Path.GetTempPath(). The reason is our code actually scans the folder to find out our files. When you have a lot of unrelated files in the folder, it could slow things down.

Excellent point on the file list. I think it definitely makes sense to add a function to clear the file list.

Thanks for the feedbacks.
Brian Smith
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 9:49:43 AM
Groups: Member

Hello,

The machine I am actually trying this all on would be a single core, single processor one (it's as far as it goes for 32-bit single core, so topped out I guess would be more appropiate, I didn't spec it). I haven't put it on the test servers yet, which are all multi-processor and multi-core.

I do have some more info:
On #1, I was wrong. The upload doesn't actually complete, but it just appears to do so, putting it in the list and everything. The file is corrupt when I go to use it, only getting the data it received before the hang. There is no error messages or exceptions thrown though as far as I can tell (this is probably IIS timing out a long running script).

I can't figure out why the files are staying locked for too long, though. I have a feeling the hanging download problem is related to the file being locked by the uploder process the next time it tries to write to it. I did a file monitoring session to check it out, and other than the asp worker process, nothing is hitting those files that I've found.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 9:54:04 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update. Would you be available to have an online meeting so that we can actually see the error?

Appreciate your help