Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

PDF Merge is slow Options
g3orge
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 6:13:08 AM
Groups: Member

Hi,

Whenever I am generating a document, I merge a Cover, a personalized header and the common body of the document(3 different pdf files). The Cover has one page, the header has a page or two, and the body contains hundred of pages, and the merge time takes about one minute. If I merge them using Acrobat Reader Pro, then it merges them instantaneously.

I have tried with all the overloads of the method PdfDocument.Merge and got the same result.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 2:17:43 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Please see if this version is faster:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/4/eo.pdf.pdfdocument.merge_overload_3.aspx

There are two significant different ways of merging PDF files: an "incremental" merge and a "deep" merge. When you call Merge on two PdfDocument objects, it performs a "deep" merge. This would analyze each page and merge shared contents. For example, if both PdfDocument uses the same font, then the font objects will be merged. On the other hand, an "incremental" merge simply append the new file contents at the end of the existing file content and fix up a few pointers, so it's much faster. I believe when you call Merge with file names, it does an incremental merge.

Thanks!
g3orge
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 1:01:50 PM

Hi,

"I believe when you call Merge with file names, it does an incremental merge."

No, the Merge with file names gets the same time: 1 minute. In the test, I have merged only the cover and the body pdf documents. By all the overloads I meant including that one with file names.

Thanks,
George
g3orge
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:33:05 AM

Hi again,

So, it's there any way to perform a fast merge of pdf documents with EO PDF ? Or do you want me to send you a test project, to confirm the problem ?

Thanks,
George
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:35:59 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. We have posted a new build that should be significantly faster. You can download the new build from our download page. During our test a full merge takes about 100 seconds and an incremental merge takes about 10 seconds.

When you use the new build, make sure you apply your license key. If you do not apply the license key, the merge performance will be significantly worse. This is because the root of the problem is we parse the contents of each page. This is necessary for a full merge but is not necessary for an incremental merge since the page contents does not change. However if you do not apply your license key, the license warning message will be stamped on each page, this will trigger a full reparse of the existing page contents and fall back to almost a full merge.

Thanks!