Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Tabstrip to change .Net 1.1 Panels Options
ptodd
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:05:10 AM
Groups: Member

Hello, I am looking at the tabstrip control to use for switching .net panels. Do you have any examples of this? If this is something that is easy to do I would be interested in purchasing the control.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:15:21 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

It's very easy to do so with a little bit extra coding (which I am providing below).

There are generally two ways to do this. To show/hide the panel on the server side or to show/hide the panel on the client side. In order to show/hide the panel on the server side, you would usually use a CallbackPanel control (It's not a must, without CallbackPanel you can still show/hide panels, but the whole page will be refreshed, instead only the panel part is refreshed). You can find a sample that demonstrates this technic here:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/demo/Default.aspx?path=TabStrip\_i1\_i3

The server side code in this sample uses a callback to dynamically load page contents but you can change it to set your panel's Visible to true/false.

Another way is to show/hide them on the client side. In order to do that you will need to handle the TabStrip's ClientSideOnItemClick event, inside that event handler you will then use Javascript to show/hide a panel. The following code assumes that you have 5 panels and their IDs are "Panel1", "Panel2"...."Panel5" respectively.

Code: JavaScript
function TabStripOnClick(e, info)
{
    var index = info.getItem().getIndex();
    for (var i = 0; i < 5; i++)
    {
        var panel = document.getElementById("Panel" + (i + 1).toString());
        if (i == index)
            panel.style.display = "block";
        else
            panel.style.display = "none";
    }
}

When you use it this way, make sure all Panel's Visible is true (the default value), but the style.display property of those who are not initially visible is set to "none":

Code: HTML/ASPX
<asp:Label ID="Panel1" runat="server"></asp:Panel>
<asp:Label ID="Panel2" runat="server" style="display:none"></asp:Panel>
<asp:Label ID="Panel3" runat="server" style="display:none"></asp:Panel>

Thanks