Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Javascript Exception in FireFox Options
OneMHz
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:06:39 AM
Groups: Member

I have a somewhat odd setup. I have a web application on one sub domain (sub1.company.com), and an AJAX Uploader control in a small dedicated app on another sub domain (sub2.company.com). I do this because I get free bandwidth to the server for sub2, so I don't want to upload to sub1 and then transfer it. I access the uploader by having an iFrame on the page on sub1 point to the uploader app on sub2. It works fine in IE, but in FireFox, I get a Javascript exception.

Error:
[Exception...
"'Permission denied to get property XMLDocument.documentElement' when calling method:
[nsIOnReadyStateChangeHandler::handleEvent]"
nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)"

Any idea why I'd get that or what I can do to fix it?
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:37:52 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Hum. :) Interesting setup. You probably don't want to do it that way. Cross domain JavaScript is a dangerous zone and generally you should not do it. It is the consensus of all modem browsers that it should be disallowed. So even if you don't get caught today, tomorrow some browser releases a patch and will catch you.

Thanks
OneMHz
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:52:01 AM
Groups: Member

Unfortunately, it's the only option available to me. Since it's within the same domain, just different sub domains, I'm okay doing things this way for now. The setup also works in Safari, so if I could just get FireFox worked out, it would solve my current problem.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:34:23 AM
Groups: Administration

I will pass this to the development team but as far as it appears now, no solution appears to exist. If a permission denied error is meant to be there, then there should be no workaround. It doesn't matter whether they belong to the same parent domain or not. Two different domains are two different domains. We are well aware of cross domain JavaScript problem and there has been no solution that works for all browsers.