Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Proxy configuration Options
Christian Porzio
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 4:04:37 AM
Groups: Member

Hi,

Does some one know how to configure EO.Web to use the proxy through a text pac file located on the workstation or a file server?

I can see the Properties in the Proxy class to set the hots and port of the proxy server but remain confused on where I would actually set it with a PAC File.

Thank you many in advance for your inputs.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:53:25 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

There is no interface for you to explicitly set PAC file. It supposes to work automatically through your DHCP server. See our reply in this post:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/forum/postst8562_EOWebBrowser-support-configuration-Proxy-with-PAC.aspx

If you must set PAC file manually, then you will probably have to parse the file yourself and then set the proxy through Runtime.Proxy property.

Thanks!
Christian Porzio
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:43:04 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply but that is not the case for us, our application runs on a workstation shared by multiple users. When "our users" log in, we need to activate our pac file for the lifetime of that session.

We do it in Firefox using something like this:

Code: XML
<add key="network.proxy.autoconfig_url" value="file://R:\AAL-Suite\UTIL\aa.pac"/>
    <add key="network.proxy.type" value="2"/>

and magically, Firefox grab that file and use it for its proxy.

Firefox portable has something similar.

Any idea how to replicate the same thing here?

Thanks a lot!
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:47:03 AM

You can try to find out how to make it work with Google Chrome browser first. We will then see if our product works any differently. Due to the size of the Chromium project, we generally only investigate/support issues where our product works differently than Google Chrome browser.
Christian Porzio
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:40:21 PM

Yes, that is what I'm ding and everything indicates that the proxy is Chrome if not defined thru GP or DHCP then it must be configured thru IE.

I noticed that if I provide a PAC thru https (e.g. http://my.proxy.server.com:1234/files/proxy.pac) then it works but if I configured thru a local file (e.g. file://R:/AAL-Suite/Util/aa.pac) then it might work but the page takes a very long time to resolve. I said "might" because I keep getting a timed out error while in IE, it will eventually load. I could change the timeout value but this is not an acceptable response time to be deployed in production.

Then I was looking into the ProxyInfo class but there is no attribute to configure an autoCofigureUrl for the pac file.

It seems also that EO.Web does not support the chrome://url when applying it so, it redirects to the same as chrome://versions.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:59:34 AM

Hi,

We only support very few "chrome:'' Urls and we are not really in a position to figuring out how to make something work with Chrome. Your best option will probably be reading the PAC file yourself and set ProxyInfo through code.

Thanks
Christian Porzio
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:05:02 AM

Hi,

Looks like there is no other way with Chrome to replicate the IE Internet Connection settings if one wants to configure the proxy using an autoConfigUrl.

Found this API to do it: https://github.com/chentiangemalc/ProxyUtils/tree/master/SetProxy

Regards
Christian Porzio
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 12:55:18 PM

FYI... I think I found the cleanest way to configure the proxy in EO.Web.

The API provide a way to pass command line arguments to the chromium engine, hence by combining the information found here:
https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/network-settings

one can provide any proxy setting without affecting the IE registry settings:

For instance, in my case I can provide the local pacfile to be used:
Code: C#
EO.WebBrowser.Runtime.ExtraCommandLineArgs = "--proxy-pac-url=" + myPacFile

I tested it and it worked perfectly.

Since I saw a number of other posts about proxy I thought this may help.

Regards
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:33:25 PM

Great. Thanks for sharing!