Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Moving from 2015 to 2016 caused my Bing Maps output to lose resolution Options
Brad Mathews
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 3:40:56 PM
Groups: Member

I had upgraded to 2016 so I could use HtmlToPdfSession. It does not like to render Bing Maps very well. Now to be fair I am also using the new v8 version of Bing Maps which changed a lot. I am also sending this to MS to see if I can get enough data from both of you to figure out a solution.

Here is an after and before showing the changes. The background tiles still look good. The street labels and my icons are very pixelated. I know the Icons are now drawn on the html canvas where as before they were img elements. I do not know what the difference on the street labels is.

Are there any settings I can try to get the quality up?

Thanks, Brad

Brad Mathews
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 7:32:37 PM

I was doing a little more digging with different search criteria and I ran across this: https://www.essentialobjects.com/forum/postst10039_HtmlToPDF--Image-Quality-of-Google-Map-Lacking.aspx

Would that also fix my issue? If I can be assured it would I will go ahead and upgrade so I can get that version. Otherwise, I may have to figure out how to backtrack to v2015. :(

- Brad
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:29:07 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

This should be the same issue. You can try to update to the current version and see if it resolves the issue before you upgrade. When you try the new version, make sure you do NOT apply your existing license key. If you apply your existing license key, you will get an exception. If you just try it without a license key, it will proceed to trial mode and you should be able to verify whether it works for you.

Thanks!
Brad Mathews
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:32:47 PM

So the latest version almost fixed the problem.

The resolution issues are totally handled. But my label text uses a glow filter to get white text with a black outline. The black outline is not rendering.

Here is the SVG I am using to draw the text on the canvas:

Code: HTML/ASPX
<text x="183" y="250" style="text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black !important;filter: glow(Color=#000000,Strength=1);font-size:180px;font-family:arial;fill:#FFFFFF;" text-anchor="middle">{text}</text>

Brad Mathews
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:14:20 PM

I was a little premature in calling the resolution issue handled. It is better, but more work to be done.

Look at the attached image. The inset is the web page in Chrome and the rest is the resulting PDF. You can see the PNG tiles (the street segments) are just fine. The text, especially the numbers, is a little softer. The lines have lost all of their anti-aliasing.

- Brad

eo_support
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 4:23:38 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Both issues might be related to the fact that we use a slightly older version of Chromium browser engine since most of the anti-aliasing are rendered correctly. We are in the process of resynching our code with the latest Chromium code base and hopefully when that is done, the rendering will be the same as the current version of Google Chrome browser.

Thanks!
Brad Mathews
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2017 6:19:15 PM

I ran version 54 of Chrome (assuming the Chromium engine version matches the Chrome version) and the maps look the same as on Chrome 60 so I am not sure that is the cause of the problem.

How are you extracting the Canvas, using toDataURL? Are you somehow rendering the canvas entities directly into PDF primitives?

One thing I noticed is that if you use toDataURL to extract a 2D image of the canvas, you actually get better quality than Chrome displays, see http://bingmapsv8samples.azurewebsites.net/#Map%20Image%20Generator

- Brad