Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Server Error in Application Options
SinginVic
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:28:39 PM
Groups: Member

What is happening when you get this:

Control '_ctl5' of type 'Calendar' must be placed inside a form tag with runat=server.

I thought I had followed all the directions for installing a Scheduler Calendar... but something is wrong.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:45:07 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Most ASP.NET pages include a form tag with runat="server". If you create a blank new page in Visual Studio.NET and then view the page source, you will see something like:

....other stuff....
<html>
....other stuff....
<body>
....our Calendar can not be placed here...
<form runat="server">
.....other page contents...
....our Calendar can be placed here because its inside the form tag...
.....other page contents...
</form>
</body>
</html>

If you use Visual Studio, the easiest way for you is to drag the Calendar from the toolbox onto the form. That way everything is automatically taken care of.

Thanks
SinginVic
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:13:43 PM

Ok so that worked - thanks
but now it is not interactive -I cannot post anything on the calendar...what did I do wrong?
Do I need to buy a standard license?
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:21:14 PM

Well, you have a long way to go then. :) What we sell is a Calendar/DatePicker control, you can use it as a Scheduler control, but it is not a Scheduler out of box. In order to use it as a Scheduler, a number of other elements has to be put together. The following page contains a working example:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/Demo/Default.aspx?path=Calendar\_i2\editable_scheduler

You would want to open the sample project and then check the source code of that example to get an idea of how it works. You will also find the help file very useful as it contains a lot of information on how to use the Calendar.

You don't need a license to try out the features, you do need them to use the product in production.
SinginVic
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2008 8:45:18 AM

What is the cost to just buy it ready to go? So I can use and don't have to mess with figuring it all out?
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2008 9:26:01 AM

Hi,

You probably need to figure it out anyway if you choose to purchase our controls. You can have a customized solution that is specifically built for you but first that would runs on thousands because of the amount of time that we would spend on it; and second, it won't give you anything more than the customized solution. On the other hand, once you have figured it out, you will have the power to customize it whatever way you wanted, and we are here to provide you pointers and necessary help as to where to look. Not to mention that our controls are one of easiest to get started out there.

Thanks
SinginVic
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 2:06:55 PM

OK
I am quite obviously in a learning mode - sorry about that ... I have the calendar working without being able to schedule anything - so the next piece is to download the source code- I think I did that but the code is about 20 pages long so how do I - the novice know where to start - do you really think you can help me - or do I need to go looking for a pre-designed one? I would like to try but I have a huge learning curve here. . .

eo_support
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 2:21:22 PM

Hi,

We understand the existence of the learning curve. :) But we just don't want you to hold your hope high on us helping you overcoming that. We are here to support our product, so generally speaking, we won't be able to afford helping every of our users who want to learn general ASP.NET programming.

Having that said, we won't mind to give you a few pointers so that you might be able to get started, once you are started, it would be easier for you to navigate through.

I am not sure where you get the idea of our source code is 20 pages long ---- the source code is not even in a separate download. It's included in the same download with the controls themselves and is installed on your machine as Visual Studio projects. You would just use Visual Studio to load the project and run it and play with it.

Thanks
SinginVic
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 2:23:55 PM

Thank you
I don't have Visual Studio but will see if I can get a free trial copy long enough to try this out.