Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Chrome Extensions to WebBrowser Options
serializer
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2016 5:02:42 PM
Groups: Member

Hi,

I am currently trialing the web browser. I wonder if it is possible to install and use extensions in the web browser. For example LastPass to generate passwords and use passwords?

Thanks
eo_support
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2016 6:35:09 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Currently chrome extension is not supported. Sorry about it!

Thanks!
Drags
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 4:25:50 AM

Hi

Is this feature on roadmap? We do need it for our project :)

Thnx
eo_support
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 9:19:11 AM

Hi,

This is on our list but we do not have an ETA yet. The core of the issue is the extension API interacts with not only the browser engine, but the browser "shell" extensively. For example, there is tab API that can be used to access tab information of the browser. However tabs do not exist in the core browser engine, nor in EO.WebBrowser since it supposes to be implemented by user code. For example, WPF user can implement it WPF way, Windows Forms user can implement it Windows Forms way, or you may use a third party UI components to implement your own fancy looking tabs. So if we were to support extension, we have to provide a tab API to the extension but ultimately delegate the implementation to the user. This can significantly add the complexity of the user code and undermines the ease to use of our product. We understand this is one of the most wanted feature, but it will take a while due to the above challenge.

Thanks!
penright
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 11:10:32 AM

I just realized it was a couple of years old, has any work been done since then?
I need to display word and excel documents without shelling to windows. I thought maybe I could do it with an extension.
eo_support
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 10:50:28 AM

No. We still do not support extension. This is one of the "would be nice" feature but the reality is if we were to add every "would be nice" feature, then most likely our product will just end up like an exact copy of Google Chrome browser. We can not do that for various reasons. Most of our users only need the core browser engine parts, and do not need the extra "shell" features of the browser, so including those features will make the product much larger and much more complicated to maintain since many of those features are specifically aiming at the end user and not from a programming integration point of view (for example, the tab APIs). Additionally, there are also features that are either completely closed sources or not covered by the same license as the core browser engine, in those cases it would not be suitable for us to use those code. Because of these reasons we do not expect to support extension in the near future.