Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Wrapper for compatibility with WebBrowser Options
Mike Aubury
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 8:51:16 AM
Groups: Member

Has any work been done on a wrapper/extension class to make EO.WinForm.WebControl a drop in replacement (as much as can be) for System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser ?

I'm looking at replacing System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser in an existing app I'm working on, and don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks in advance.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 1:50:28 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

There are no plans to create a wrapper/extension as a drop in replacement for System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser because it is not possible.

EO.WebBrowser is based on Google Chrome, which has a significant different architecture than .NET's built-in WebBrowser component. While the majority of their feature overlaps, there is no one to one mapping between the two. In another word, there are features .NET built-in WebBrowser component provides and EO.WebBrowser does not have, and there are also features (a lot) EO.WebBrowser provides and .NET's WebBrowser does not have.

Additionally, because the significant architecture different between the two, it is extremely inefficient to implement DOM access the same way .NET's built-in WebBrowser does. Instead EO.WebBrowser heavily relies on JavaScript code. See here for more details:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/webbrowser/advanced/jsdom.aspx

Hope this makes sense to you. Please feel free to let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks!
Mike Aubury
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2020 4:09:09 AM
Groups: Member

Understood..

FWIW - our usage will be fairly simple (we dont need DOM access for example) - so I've managed to knock up "enough" compatibility in around 300 lines of code :)
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2020 9:34:45 AM
Groups: Administration

Great. Thanks for understanding!