Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

How to set EnableEOWP at runtime? Options
Lomax
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2021 10:39:47 AM
Groups: Member

Hello,

I'm trying to help a friend who has a legacy application that uses the EO.WebBrowser and EO.WebEngine controls. Frustratingly, this application throws an EO.Base.ChildProcessOutOfMemoryException at launch, despite the machine having plenty of available RAM. I've read about the EnableEOWP Property in your documentation, but it seems this needs to be set at compile time? We do not have access to the source code of this software, so that would not be possible. I have found a copy of "eowp.exe" with the same version number as the EO.Base.dll that is included with the application (17.0.64.0) and have placed this in the same folder. Now I'm wondering if there's a way to enable it, for example by editing the application manifest? If not, is there anything else I can try to get around this error?
eo_support
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2021 2:31:57 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Copying eowp.exe to the same location only works in newer versions, it does not work in your version. With your version, you must change the source code.

As a side note, you will need a license for our product in order to use our product (or request support). Any developer that uses our product will need a license, even if you are just "helping" someone else.

Thanks

Lomax
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2021 6:43:27 PM
Groups: Member

Quote:
Copying eowp.exe to the same location only works in newer versions, it does not work in your version. With your version, you must change the source code.so

Ok, that's good to know. Unfortunately I had nothing to do with writing the software, and I do not have access to the source code. Might it be possible to upgrade the EO library to a more recent version without recompiling the application?

Quote:
As a side note, you will need a license for our product in order to use our product (or request support). Any developer that uses our product will need a license, even if you are just "helping" someone else.

I would suggest you raise any such concerns with the publisher - I'm not even an end user; I'm just someone who's trying to help a friend who is a (highly frustrated) end user of a legacy product which happens to use your web browser component to display its UI. It no longer works because some part of the UI causes an out of memory error, leaving him with a blank UI. This is probably due to some history/log that it's trying to display, which has grown over time, since it used to work fine up until recently. I have tried to delete/move/rename things to clean it up and reduce the memory requirements of the UI, without any improvement. Since EO is at the root of the problem I thought I might check here if anyone had any suggestions. If you don't want to deal with it just ignore me; I'm not getting paid a penny to try to fix this so my patience is quite limited.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 11:51:24 AM
Groups: Administration

I understand your frustration. You suggest us to raise the question to the publisher --- I assume you meant the developer who developed the application that you are having problems with. If that's what you meant, we don't even know who the publisher is in your case.

We sell our product to software developers, who then use our product to develop applications, which they would then sell to their customers. In a typical scenario, we sell a few licenses to the software developer, who then develop an application and potentially sells their application to thousands of their customers (end users). When their customers have a problem with their application, even if the root of the problem may have to do with our product, their customers need to go through that application's developer first. The developers would then try to analyze that problem, if they need assist from us, they can then contact us. In another word, we work with software developers, not the end users.

Not only it would not be fair for us to support thousands of end users based on a few licenses, but also most of the time it would not be possible for us to resolve the issue directly for the end users. Take your case as an example, it requires to change the source code that you do not have. This must be done by the developer who developed the application.

I hope this makes sense to you ---- the fact that you are getting paid or not is irreverent here. If you bought a computer from Dell and it stops working then you contact Dell. You don't try to figure out that some pins on the Intel CPU used needs to be modified and asks Intel to assist you to do that. It's the same idea here.