Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Failed to start image manager Options
Ronny
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:08:42 PM
Groups: Member

I have just downloaded the latest version. I have tried to write my own code and have tried the sample programs. But what ever I do I get the same error when the code creates the WebView object.

Exception is in EO.Bse.dll. Massage: Failed to start image manager.

As I get the same problem with the sample projects it might me a windows problem?

I uses windows 10. I have downloaded version 2016.1.95.0

I have tested the sample app. Same issue.

I want to use the component in a Windows form.

Any idea what the problem is?
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:26:41 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Please check if you have any security/anti virus software installed on our system. The problem occurs when we try to start a child process and that child process is being killed by another program, usually a security software that incorrectly identified our child process as a threat. In that case you can try to temporarily disable the software and see if it works. If it does work, you may want to add us into your security software's "whitelist" or "exception list" to avoid the problem.

Thanks!
Stefan Koell
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 2:31:48 AM

Hi,

I have the same issue. Some users get those crashes and lose all their work because it is an unhandled exception. From the stack trace, I can't see any frames from my code where I can put a try/catch around to catch the exception and put up a nice message to my user. Is it possible for you to somehow gracefully fail and let us "consumers" know that there's a problem with the image manager?

Thanks,
Stefan
eo_support
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 6:42:15 AM

Hi,

Please see if EO.Base.Runtime.Exception event (this is an event, not an exception type) works for you. You can handle this event to display a more user friendly message.

Thanks!
Stefan Koell
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 8:34:49 AM

Hi!

I'm already handling this event. The unhandled exception still causes my app to crash in this case. I also haven't seen an event arg to mark the event as "handled".

Regards,
Stefan
eo_support
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 3:14:43 PM

Hi,

This error is not recoverable. So it is not possible for you to somehow "handle" this error and can still proceed with other functions.

If you do want to test to see if your code can succeed on this step first and then gracefully prompt the user that the feature is not working properly instead of crashing, you can try to call Start method explicitly on the default engine:

Code: C#
EO.WebEngine.Engine.Default.Start();

This line will throw if the image manager can not be started. Obviously you would want to call this line before anything else that might have already triggered the crash.

Thanks!
SNK
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2022 6:33:57 AM

I am experiencing similar issue for some of the users. Is it possible to identify which process may be preventing the browser from starting?

Thanks!
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2022 3:24:21 PM

SNK wrote:
I am experiencing similar issue for some of the users. Is it possible to identify which process may be preventing the browser from starting?

Thanks!

There is no unified way to do that as it depends on exactly what is preventing it from starting. However you can try to enable EO Worker process and see if it resolves the issue for you. See here for more details:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/common/eowp

Thanks!
SNK
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2022 4:06:02 AM

In my case it turned out to be a group policy. After the directory where the application is installed was added to the exclusions, everything worked. Thanks.
Phil
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2022 5:53:39 AM

SNK wrote:
In my case it turned out to be a group policy. After the directory where the application is installed was added to the exclusions, everything worked. Thanks.

Hi SNK, are you able to expand on this a little more - when you suggest excluding the folder from group policy, are you saying excluding the folder from the virus scanner. Also are you running the application on AppServices or is it hosted within a standard IIS environment

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated
SNK
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2022 6:02:43 AM

The application is running from MS Office addin. Some clients are getting errors while trying to access the EO browsers. The client has only Windows Defender. We added the directory of the application to defender's exlusions (which didn't help by itself). Then via Group Policy Management Editor in Windows Defender Antivirus>Windows Defender Exploit Guard>Attack Surface Reduction we added the same directory.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2022 11:09:06 AM

To SNK: Thanks for sharing

To Phil: SNK's scenario does not apply to you. You get this error occasionally where as SNK would get this consistently. For SNK's case, due to permission settings the child process NEVER starts sucessfully. If that was your case, your application would have never been able to perform a single conversion.