Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Timeouts using EO.Pdf 2022 Options
Ron
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2022 1:54:24 PM
Groups: Member

Hi!

EO.Pdf 2021.0.32 (and previous versions) worked well for me for many years but since upgrading to 2022.0.40 I've been experiencing a lot of timeouts when converting HTML to PDF. I've included the error and stack trace below. Upgrading to 2022.0.83 did not resolve the problem.

I'm using EO.Pdf in Azure App Services in an ASP.NET Web Forms site targeting .NET Framework 4.7.2. I'm passing an HTML string to ConvertHtml. It does contain some links to images stored in Azure Storage. I'm guessing that is where it is timing out?

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks!
- Ron

Error message and details:

Time out expired before the page can be loaded.

at EO.Internal.rtgz.dqky(rtbx bsj, String bsk, String bsl, Int32 bsm, Int32 bsn, String bso, Boolean bsp) at EO.Internal.rtgz.tgnj(rtbx bsb, String bsc, HtmlToPdfOptions bsd, String bse, Int32 bsf, Int32 bsg, String bsh, Boolean bsi) at EO.Pdf.HtmlToPdfSession.tgnj(rtbx yw, String yx, String yy, Int32 yz, Int32 za, String zb, Boolean zc) at EO.Pdf.HtmlToPdfSession.tgnj(rtbx zd, String ze, String zf, Boolean zg) at EO.Pdf.HtmlToPdfSession.LoadHtml(String html)
at EO.Pdf.HtmlToPdf.wcnz.lhrk()
at EO.Internal.rtgw.gxis[a](balg`1 bri)
at EO.Pdf.HtmlToPdf.ConvertHtml(String html, PdfDocument doc, HtmlToPdfOptions options) at EO.Pdf.HtmlToPdf.ConvertHtml(String html, PdfDocument doc)
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 10:17:53 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

This should not have anything to do with images since it has not reached the stage where whether images are fully loaded or not is checked. However it could have to do with JavaScript code in your page since by default JavaScript code are executed as the page loads. Are you able to isolate the problem into a test project locally?

Thanks!
Ron
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 12:02:10 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! Good to know that it's not the images! And there's absolutely no JavaScript in these. It's all simple HTML with nothing fancy and no external references other than a few images. No external CSS files, etc.

We use EO.Pdf enough that we see the error a couple times a day but we use it a lot and most of the time it works. So it only fails very intermittently. It doesn't appear related to a specific HTML document. The same document will render fine one time but then timeout the next time. The only thing I can really tell you with certainty is that the problem started when we upgraded from 2021.0.32 to 2022.0.40; persisted in 2022.0.83; and immediately went away when we downgraded back to 2021.0.32.

We do set EnableEOWP to false. Does that matter? It's been so long since that was added that I forget exactly what it does.

Thanks!
Ron
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 6:22:33 PM

Hi,

There was indeed a timeout issue that was introduced in 2021.2.31 but it was partially fixed in 2022.0.40, and then more fix were implemented in 2022.0.83. It was confirmed by other users that the issue was indeed fixed in 2022.0.83 build. Since you are still experiencing issues, then it appears that it may still have not been thorougly fixed.

What we can do is to create a temporary build for you that reverts the changes we made in 2021.2.31 for you to test. If that does not trigger any issues, then we know for sure that's the root cause of the issue. Once we are sure that's the root of the issue, we will then see if we can reproduce it here (or may need your assist if it only occurs in your environment) and we will then go from there.

Thanks!
Ron
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 7:22:54 PM

Since I'm only able to reproduce this intermittently in production with live users, I'm a little hesitant to roll out something that might break things again. That might also make it hard for me to help reproduce the issue if we have to keep going down that path. But sure, give me a temporary build and I'll try to test it out.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2022 3:42:55 PM

Hi,

We have sent a new build to you. Please check your private message for the download location.

Thanks!
Ron
Posted: Friday, September 9, 2022 6:10:31 PM

Hi again! Sorry, I have to admit that I was not able to test that special build. It's challenging because the problem is so intermittent: it may work fine in testing but once we actually roll it out it works for a bit and then starts to fail.

We did upgrade from 21.0.32 to 22.2.19 because there were some release notes that indicated that maybe you found and fixed the problem. But again, it works for a while, or intermittently, and then starts failing again time without errors. So we rolled back to 21.0.32.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 5:52:58 PM

There is no way for us to fix an issue without being able to catch it first. This would have to be either reproducing it in our test environment, or collect enough logs through your environment. Since a normal release build would not likely have logged in the information on exactly what caused the problem, we would need to add test logs which would require test builds if we go that route.