Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

When running a timed shutdown, eowp.exe hold the reboot. Options
penright
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 8:11:01 AM

Groups: Member

There may not be anything we can do, but I thought I would ask. :-)

We have a windows event that reboots the kiosk. BraumsB.exe is a wrapper for chrome. The Form1 is a vb.net from hosting the wrapper. I can't remember off the top of my head, but we have to run eowp.exe for some workaround.
For some reason, the eowp.exe is holding up the reboot. I found a thread that talked about eowp.exe shutdown issues, but he was trying something different and you told him that shutdown for eowp.exe was a once started can't stop the process.
Any thoughts on how to make this OS shutdown smoother?

eo_support
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 10:56:24 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

eowp.exe will only hold up the shutdown when you have active WebView objects that are not being destroyed. This allows your application (that uses the WebView) to perform last minute work before the system shutdown. So as soon as your application that uses the WebView does not hold up the shutdown, eowp.exe will exit.

Thanks!
putty
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 12:59:50 AM

When eowp.exe hold up the shutdown , can main process or the active WebView object get shutdown event or somthing else ,so it can be destoryed?
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 9:55:58 AM

putty wrote:
When eowp.exe hold up the shutdown , can main process or the active WebView object get shutdown event or somthing else ,so it can be destoryed?

Are you using Windows 7?
putty
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 7:43:14 PM

yes , I am using windows 7. There is no such problem on win 10.

eo_support wrote:
putty wrote:

Are you using Windows 7?
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2022 9:40:47 AM

This is a known issue on Windows 7. You would have to manually kill your main application in order for eowp.exe to exit. If eowp.exe does not block shutdown, then it can be killed by Windows before your application receives shutdown signal, and if you try to handle that event (SessionEnding) and access the WebView, then that will fail because the underlying eowp.exe is already killed. So there is no good solution either way. Windows 10 fixed this issue and allow the application to exit orderly.
putty
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2022 3:35:40 AM

OK , thank you for your reply.

eo_support wrote:
This is a known issue on Windows 7. You would have to manually kill your main application in order for eowp.exe to exit. If eowp.exe does not block shutdown, then it can be killed by Windows before your application receives shutdown signal, and if you try to handle that event (SessionEnding) and access the WebView, then that will fail because the underlying eowp.exe is already killed. So there is no good solution either way. Windows 10 fixed this issue and allow the application to exit orderly.