Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

EOWP and Windows Defender Options
Jerry Metcoff
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2022 12:43:49 PM
Groups: Member

Is there any way to prevent the Windows Defender messages when using EO Web Browser? I've read the documentation regarding EOWP.EXE and implemented it the way described, but I still get initial Defender warnings on the first time use. Since the web browser is embedded in our product, these warnings are not acceptable to potential customers and create a huge support issue for us. When we started using EO version 2020, this was not an issue. Is there any way around this?
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2022 1:53:26 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Windows Defender will always display a warning when it sees a new application accessing the network. However it will then "train" itself over time as it sees many users have allow the app to procceed. At that point it will no longer display the warning. So this can occur at the begining of a new release and it should dispear over time.

One thing you can do is to rename EOWP.exe to something that your end user can easily recognize as part of your application. For example, if your app is called CoolApp.exe then you can rename EOWP.exe as CoolAppHelper.exe. This way user may be able to make the connection themself thus reduce the chance of this reaching your support desk. You can use this method to customize EOWP.exe's file name and location:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/eo.base.runtime.initworkerprocessexecutable.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Jerry Metcoff
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2022 7:39:08 AM

I tried EO 2021 and that doesn't work either. We are stuck on EO 2020 until this can be resolved.
eo_support
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2022 1:19:19 PM

We have no control over how Windows Defender decide to silent the error. This is just a simple exe file that will always trigger network warning initially. The fact that 2020 does not trigger the message in one enviornment does not mean it won't trigger it in another enviornment. So one version would work better than than another is just an illusion. They all have to go through some kind of "vetting" process by Microsoft first --- except that for obvious reason Microsoft is not sharing much insight on this process.
Jerry Metcoff
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2023 11:38:44 AM

Is it possible to distribute eowp.exe with my app but under a different name? I'd like to have this show up in my program files folder instead of the temp folder. It looks like the InitWorkerProcessExecutable call needs a write-able folder.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2023 4:42:08 PM

Hi,

Yes. You can use this method to customize the file name/location of eowp.exe:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/eo.base.runtime.initworkerprocessexecutable.html

Thanks!