Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Menu Parent/Child Databind Issue Options
Rod Saunders
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:50:42 PM
Groups: Member

Hello again. Hopefully just another newbie question, but I am having issues when using the Parent/Child databind of a DataSet to the Web Menu control. I originally bound it to a DataSet with 3 tables, each representing a level/sub-level of the menu, and binding each table to each level individually (too long an explanation as to why). That worked fine, and still works if I revert to that code.

BUT, I have since tried to change the binding to a parent/child Dataset; however, when the menu is generated, it has only a single link in the menu, which is:

System.Data.DataViewManagerListItemTypeDescriptor

No errors are reported on the page. I have generated the DataSet both from a database and manually (to troubleshoot) but, again, to no avail. Any ideas??

Thanks.
eo_support
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:56:15 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi Rod,

Check the DataRelations in your DataSet. You can find more information about how to bind to a DataSet at here:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/ViewDoc.aspx?t=MenuCommon%2fDataBinding%2fpopulate_dataset.html

The same code is available in the sample project. So you may want to load that and compare to locate the difference.

Thanks
Rod Saunders
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 10:12:19 PM
Groups: Member

Solved. However, it wasn't the DataRelation, though I appreciate the response and suggestion. I had copied that code originally.

As it turns out, I have an xml column in my dataset and, due to other processing in my app, had set the SqlDataAdapter to ReturnProviderSpecificTypes. Once I set that back to false (I'll re-work the "other" code) the menu started working.
eo_support
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:50:33 AM
Groups: Administration

Excellent. Thanks for the update.