Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

EO.Web.MaskedEdit validation Options
DPRA AUS
Posted: Friday, May 9, 2008 12:18:37 AM
Groups: Member

Hi in your Validation example for MaskedEdit, you have min=50 max=99. If you don't type anything in the validation fires with the message. OK. However if I enter "2" and hit submit, it just changes my value to the min (50). I would have expected to get an error like before?

We are using the MaskedEdit for entering stock codes with this mask:
__-___-____ (i.e. 2 digits - 3 digits - 4 digits). We only allow numbers.

We type in all digits except for the last 4 digit section, we only type in 3 digits and then submit the form. The validation correctly tells us the value is not valid (during the postback) and we display this error to the user. The problem though, is that the MaskedEdit control is now blank! We want to retain the value even if it's not valid so the user can see what mistake they made.

What we're seeing is similar to the problem I can reproduce on the validation demo mentioned above. Any thoughts?
eo_support
Posted: Friday, May 9, 2008 6:24:42 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Both are very good points. The key concern behind this was, when user sees a "half" value, they expect to be able to "complete" it. For example, when user only type in 3 digits and then submit the form, if we were to retain all 3 digits, then when the page comes back, the user would expect to be able to continue to finish the remaining 4 digits, instead of starting entering all numbers all over again. This is however not possible with the MaskedEdit since it does not position cursor. That can confuse user and cause other complains. But obviously the current implementation also raises issues as you pointed out. So we will look into it and see what we can do.

Thanks