Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Displaying NavigateURL Path in Status Bar of Browser? Options
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 7:34:06 PM
Groups: Member

I'm using your guy's Menu. I like it a lot.

However, I have two issues that I'm hoping you can resolve or help me understand:
1.) How do I get the menu to display the menu Item's url path in the status bar of the browser. Like every other menu does. Or, as a hyperlink does, for example.

2.) I've noticed an undesireable effect of the menu. Our site is report intensive, some reports can take 15 seconds to load. So for example, if I'm loading one of these reports the browser reflects that it's loading by displaying it's spinning circle (in IE7) to the end user. However, if I inadvertantly hover over the menu before the report is done loading, IE7 will stop it's spinning circle, acting as if there is nothing going on...a few seconds later the report will pop up. It appears the menu is taking control of the browsers display progress. How do I prevent this?

thanks in advance!
eo_support
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 7:46:15 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi Wade,

As to your questions:

1. You will need to handle ClientSideOnItemMouseOver. That way you can write your own JavaScript handler to display the Url in the status bar. The menu does not do that because not everybody uses NavigateUrl;

2. Unfortunately no, we do not have control over how IE spin the loading circle. So there really isn't anything we can do about that. Sorry about it!

Thanks
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:36:31 AM

Hi, thanks for the quick reply! You guys have excellent customer service!

In regards to #1. How do I get it to work?
I have reviewed the documentation on firing clientSide events. However, it really only talks about the OnClickScript. I can't find any examples (including in your sample website) for utilizing the ClientSideOnItemMouseOver event. Here's what I have (for ease of readability, I took out the <LookItems>, <TopGroup> and <Bindings> section):

Code: HTML/ASPX
<eo:Menu ID="Menu1" runat="server" AutoSelectSource="NavigateUrl" DataSourceID="XmlDataSource1"
    ClientSideOnItemMouseOver="showURLInStatus" EnableViewState="false" ImageBaseDirectory="~/Images/TabularMenu/"
    TopLevelItemAlign="Right" AutoSelectTarget="Path">
</eo:Menu>

<script type="text/javascript">
        function showURLInStatus(e, eventInfo){
            window.alert('Is This Working?');
        };
</script>

However, rolling over the menu items does nothing. What am I missing?
Thanks again in advance!
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:46:20 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

We tried the code and it worked fine here (we removed DataSourceID and used a static menu instead). Make sure you have the script block placed before the menu.

Thanks
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:30:48 AM

Yep, thats exactly what it was. I needed to put the Script above the menu. Interesting...

Thanks a lot guys! Good Work!