Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Callback panel is very slow Options
Emran Hussain
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:03:51 PM
Groups: Member

Hello,

I am feeling that the CallBack Panel is very slow and what is not usual. For example, when I am testing my web application in LocalHost, I can see that CallBack Panel is still taking same time what is required for regular postback. sometimes, regular postback is faster in my LocalHost testing. I thought, AJAX should be faster than Callback as it must download only required changed html from the server rather than downloadig the whole Page HTML. So, is it any issue already listed to you or may be i am missing something in my environment ?

I tried regular ASP.NET Ajax but that is faster too comparing this CallBack Panel.

Anyway, I am just wondering if you are working on this control so that we can get a better one in your next version release ?
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:23:59 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Actually AJAX is always slower than regular postback. The reason is AJAX is a regular post + partial page update. The full page posts back always occures; The difference is when the post back comes back to the client side, whether the whole page is being updated; or only a portion of the page is being updated. Also AJAX uses JavaScript to enclode view state which is much slower comparing with letting the browser to enclose the view state by itself. So huge amount of view state data can also be a problem for AJAX.

We are not aware of any signficant performance difference between our CallbackPanel and ASP.NET AJAX UpdatePanel. If you observed such a problem, please create a test page and we will look into it as soon as possible.

Thanks
Emran Hussain
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:46:11 PM
Groups: Member

Thank you for answering me the details. I did not know about it. I thought, developers are using AJAX just because it is more performant than regular postback. Anyway,
Thanks again.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:00:22 PM
Groups: Administration

Another type of AJAX solution that relies on Web Service rather than Web Forms does exist, they run faster because they actually do not post back the current page. However since it is detached from the Web Form, all benefits associated with Web Form, such as server event, control rendering, etc are lost. Both our CallbackPanel and ASP.NET AJAX UpdatePanel works with Web Forms.