Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Ajax Uploader problems in Firefox 2.0.0.16 Options
trystanc
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:19:28 AM
Groups: Member

Hi,

When using the Ajax uploader in Firefox (2.0.0.16) I have noticed much decreased performance and unreliability compared to to Internet Explorer.

I set up a simple test project with a single page and just the uploader control on it with default settings, temp directory ~/uploads.

Uploading a 25mb file to our test server on the internal network in IE completed in around 3 seconds using IE 7.

Uploading the same file using firefox, the upload is much slower and a lot of the time doesn't work at all (I end up getting a timeout message pop up "Ajax call to the server times out (set clientsideonerror to handle this error)").
After it fails firefox hangs and uses 60-70% of my processor until I kill the process in task manager.

I am using the latest version of the uploader (6.0.34.2) which I downloaded and installed today to see if this resolved the issue.

I also experienced a similar issue of firefox hanging after trying to upload to your demo site.

We have just purchased 5 dev licences for the control, I can supply licence ID if you need it.

eo_support
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:33:17 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Do you happen to have any third party plug-ins for FF? We are not aware of any of such issues. We also tested again with the same version (2.0.0.16) just now and the speed for FF is quite close to IE. Theoretically the speed should be determined by network bandwidth.

You may want to try a number of different things in order to narrow down the issue:

1. Try to upload from another machine with a "clean" firefox;
2. Try to run the server side code on IIS 6 instead of IIS 7 (IIS 7 has additional settings that can interfere with the uploader);
3. Try to upload with a simple file input element instead of our uploader (You won't get the progress information but it shouldn't hang either);

Please keep us posted as to what you find.

Thanks!
trystanc
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 2:19:18 AM

Hi,

I have tried the standard asp.net file uploader and have problems with this too.

I'm trying to find someone else with the same version of firefox to try it out. I'll let you know.

Thanks
trystanc
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 2:24:03 AM

Ok it seems to be fine on another machine with Firefox 2.0.0.16 so looks like something specific to my PC.
Tried disabling all the plugins but still have problems, I guess I'll reinstall Firefox and see if that sorts it.

Thanks
eo_support
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 6:52:39 AM
Groups: Administration

Thanks for the update!