Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Targeting Frames with EO Menu under XHTML Options
Saed
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:56:28 PM
Groups: Member

Hi there,
EO Menu facilitates targeting frames to cross-frame display of its Sub-Menus, which also sets the target frame to display loaded documents. That's great and well-illustrated in Demo.

However, when I tried implementing that, I encountered an XHTML validation error, but didn't prevent the Menu though from functioning as desired. As I noted, EO Menu relays on defining a name to base frame then assigning said name to its TargetFrame.

Under XHTML 1.0 and later, the name attribute becomes depreciated to the favour of id. Complying with XHTML standards however resulted in a confusing behaviour: the Menu displayed its Subs in the frame but not the loaded document, which were opened into a pop-up window; a common behaviour in HTML 4.01 (and XHTML) when referring to a non-existing frame! In other words, it recognised the id value as the target of its Subs but not the target of loaded documents!

So, the only way forward was to use both id and name, and assigning them identical values, sacrificing validity to the benefit of functionality.

To summarise:
EO Menu relays on 'naming' frames which is no longer supported by XHTML. Using frame's id value instead doesn't seem to thoroughly work. Is there a a fix or something to tweak in order to overcome this?

Regards,

Saed Hamdan
"Man may be destroyed but not defeated" -Hemmingway
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:18:00 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

The root of the problem is not that our menu doesn't recognize frame ID, the problem is window.open doesn't recognize frame ID. XHTML standard nicely covered the "target" property of all navigational elements (for example, the A element), but those people seems to have forgotten JavaScript. :)

It should not be difficult for us to workaround this problem though. We will see if we can get an update to you shortly.

Thanks
Saed
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:49:49 PM
Groups: Member

Thank you for that.

I'll be looking forward for a workaround or even an update. Meanwhile, I'll keep using both attributes.

Regards,

Saed Hamdan
"Man may be destroyed but not defeated" -Hemmingway