Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

HtmlToPdf.ConvertHtml Local File Paths not loading properly Options
csalle01
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:43:31 AM
Groups: Member

When setting the HtmlToPdf.Options.BaseUrl to "file:///c:\images\" and using the HtmlToPdf.ConvertHtml to build a pdf, the local image files in the "c:\images\" directory are not loaded properly because the url in the html is "/content/client/logos/logo.png". I had to flip the forward slashes in the html to backward slashes (and also remove the leading forward slash) in order for the images on the file server to appear properly on the pdf. When my image src attribute is "content\client\logos\logo.png" then the image will load properly in the pdf.

Please add a solution so I can use "file:///c:\images\" as the BaseUrl and the img src attribute be "/content/client/logos/logo.png".

csalle01
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:50:24 AM

I am using version 17.2.92
csalle01
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 12:55:42 PM

It also looks like I am not able to load images in CSS using the background-image property (when referencing the images locally).

background-image: url('/content/client/logos/logo.png') -> this fails to load properly

I also tried flipping the slashes so,

background-image: url('content\client\logos\logo.png') -> this also fails to load properly

eo_support
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:52:11 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

The path handling is done by the Chromium browser engine that is embedded inside our DLL. We can not modify the behavior of the browser engine since it can cause other problems.

BaseUrl for local file works very different than BaseUrl for a regular Url resource. The key difference for local file is the host part is empty. So for a Url "c:/images/1.jpg", The components of the Url is as follow:

protocol: file://
host name: empty
path: /c:/images/1.jpg

The implication for this is the root path "/" alone has no meaning for a local file Url. A root path points to the first "/" before drive letter "c:" in the above path. Unless you have a drive letter immediately after it, it is not valid and has no meaning. So you should avoid using root path such as "/content/client/logos.png" and use relative path only (without the leading "/").

Additionally, if your background image is specified in a CSS file, then the image path should be relative to the CSS file, not the BaseUrl you specified.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
csalle01
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:32:17 PM

When using BaseUrl = "file://c:/images/" the url for images will work when only omitting the leading forward slash -> "content/client/logos.png" (will load the image properly). When using the image url as "/content/client/logos.png" then the image fails to load properly.

Is there anyway to get this scenario without modifying the html image urls (being able to use "/content/client/logos.png" as the url) ?
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:44:59 PM
Groups: Administration

I have already explained to you in my previous reply that you should use relative path, not absolute path with local file. We have also gave you detailed explanation why absolute path for local Url doesn't work. Yet you still ask us how to get the absolute path work. Is there any part in our previous reply that is not clear to you?
csalle01
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:36:11 PM

Okay we will have to parse the html we are rendering and remove the leading slashes. Thanks.