Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

EO.WebBrowser - WPF-functionality Options
remco
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 11:59:55 AM
Groups: Member

Hi,

I'm new to this product but ended up here in search of a solution for a specific situation: I'm looking for a webbrowser control that will be used in a WPF application and that behaves like a WPF control. What I specifically need is the browser control to be rotatable.

I have tried the TabbedBrowser from the samples and I tried applying a RotateTransform on the WebViewItem and other objects but everything rotated except the actual webbrowser. Am I missing something or is what I want impossible?

I have been using Awesomium sofar, which worked fine on the rotation side but had some other limitations, so I was hoping there would be a good alternative.

eo_support
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:11:12 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

It is our understanding that such solution does not exist. As browser evolves to support more and more graphics related features (video, HTML5, canvas, transforms, webGL, and so on), all modern browser engines have moved to work with the hardware acceleration interface directly, doing so would completely bypass WPF's rendering pipe line, which resulted in features supported by the WPF rendering pipeline not working on the browser contents.

In short, because it is not possible for modern browser to participate WPF rendering pipeline, it is not possible for modern browser engine to honor WPF transforms. Awesomium works might because it still uses an older browser engine, but it's probably the same older browser engine that gives you other limitations that you are trying to resolve.

With newer browser engine, you can implement transforms inside the browser engine with HTML/CSS instead of through WPF. However there will still be a clear "airspace" boundary between the browser area and other WPF contents. In another word, your WPF contents will be outside of the browser area. They can not mix in the same area.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to let us know if you still have any questions.

Thanks!

remco
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:11:23 PM
Groups: Member

Thank you for your reply and explanation. It clears up a lot of the issues I've been having and kind of confirms my suspicions about the fact that what we're trying to do may be simply impossible (or at least realistic).

eo_support
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 9:53:10 AM
Groups: Administration

You are very welcome. Please feel free to let us know if there is anything else.