Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

dll cross-version Options
Samuele
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 7:08:47 AM
Groups: Member

Hi,

i've make an application with Visual Studio 2003 on Framework 1.1 and i've load on server with eo.web.dll
If tomorrow the provider update the Framework to 2.x version the code of application is cross-version but the eo.web.dll no.
I'll must rebuild the application on Visual Studio 2005 and load the new eo.web.dll..
it's very expensive.

Thanks
Samuele
eo_support
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 7:25:14 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi Samuele,

Thanks for your suggestion. The reason that we have two different DLLs is because the one for ASP.NET 2.0 offers features that are specifically for ASP.NET 2.0. EO.Web Controls for 2.0 supports SiteMapDataSource and XmlDataSource control, which was not a part of ASP.NET 1.1. It is possible to config your app to load a "substitute" version of the DLL when the runtime's version changes (.NET itself is done this way), but probably it wouldn't worth it because generally there are a lot more things involved when you switch from ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0. Because of subtle differences that are introduced by .NET itself, I've never seen a provider switches the version without your consent, because it could potentially break your site. Usually when they offer ASP.NET 2.0, they provide a tool for you to switch version. You can then switch and test ----- and most of the time, unless you have already specifically modified your code to use some of ASP.NET 2.0 only features, you wouldn't bother to switch anyway.

Thanks