Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Disable the usage of GoogleUpdate.exe in EO.WebBrowser? Options
hmireault
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:24:05 PM
Groups: Member

Hello,

One of our users told us that when using our EO.WebBrowser integration, their firewall notice an attempt to use GoogleUpdate.exe, which is blocked for them.
Since this is based on chromium, is this expected? Is it possible to disable this?

Best regards.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:29:54 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

I am not aware that EO.WebBrowser has anything to do with Google update. Even though EO.WebBrowser is based on Chromium, it is built on top of Chromium's source code with numerous modifications. It is not built on top of Google's official binaries, so GoogleUpdate.exe is of no use to EO.WebBrowser since it downloads official binaries from Google, as such it is not included in our distribution.

Thanks!
hmireault
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:33:22 AM

I suppose the issue must lie elsewhere, then. Thanks for letting me know!
hmireault
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:39:37 AM

The client came back and they said that the specific domain that is blocked by their firewall is "redirector.gvt1.com", which is apprently used by GoogleUpdate.exe. This seems to only occur for them when they open our EO.WebBrowser integration and browse to a website. I cannot reproduce this on my end, no call seems to be made to the domain.

Thought I'd let you know in case this rings a bell, but we'll ask them for more information anyway. If anything else seems to be related to EO.WebBrowser itself I'll let you know. Thank you!
eo_support
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2018 3:36:21 PM
Groups: Administration

As far as I know our product has nothing to do with GoogleUpdate.exe ---- if you have a way to reproduce to indicate otherwise please share with us and we will be happy to investigate further.