Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

WebGL Context Lost Options
Colin Whitlatch
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 9:39:28 AM
Groups: Member

Hello -

We are working with the EO.WebBrowser.WPF product to present a 3D viewer in our WPF application. We are frequently encountering a "WebGL Context Lost" error that, once occurs, permanently disables the 3D viewer. The error only occurs within the EO WebBrowser. All current mainstream browsers ( Chrome, Edge, Firefox, IE ). We are using the latest components via NuGet and have exhausted our attempts at getting it to work with the settings available to us.

I have a sample project that I can provide that reproduces the error. Please contact me and I will provide that to you.

Thanks,

Colin Whitlatch
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 1:43:03 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Please try two things:
1. Make sure you are on the latest version;
2. Try to enable EO worker process:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/common/eowp.aspx

There main differences between EO.WebBrowser and Google Chrome browser:

1. The core browser engine for both are based on the same source code --- however EO.WebBrowser is on an older version of Chromium browser engine. Currently EO.WebBrowser is based on Chromium V62. There can be issues in V62 that have already been fixed in newer version thus works fine in Google Chrome browser, which is currently at V70. We are in the process of updating to V70. So if this is the problem, the issue will be resolved after that is done;

2. EO.WebBrowser always runs the browser engine in a child process in 32 bit mode. Google Chrome usually runs in 64 bit mode (on 64 bit OS). This gives it access to much more memory. By default, EO.WebBrowser runs the browser engine through rundll32.exe, which can only use up to 2GB memory. Enabling EO worker process can increase this memory limit to 4GB. So if memory is the issue, then this may resolve the issue for you.

3. Older version does not support software shader. So if you run out of GPU resource then you won't be able to recover. The new version does support software shader as Google Chrome. So make sure you update to the latest build in order to get this feature;

Since you won't be able to try #1 until we have the new release, so please try #2 and #3 to see if it resolves the issue for you.

Thanks!
Colin Whitlatch
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 1:55:00 PM

Hello -

No luck: I have tried the latest from NuGet & via Download ( the assemblies in the Installation folder ) + enabled out-of-process. Still errors out.

What is the timing of releasing the V70 version? Do you have any type of beta or early build to validate that the issue will be resolved?

Thanks,

- Colin
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:06:14 PM

Hi,

Currently we are looking at end of December/begining of January. We do not have public beta but you can contact us again around that time to check with us to see if we can provide an internal test build to you.

Thanks!
Colin Whitlatch
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:08:14 PM

Excellent, that timeline would work for us. We will work around the issue until then.

Thank you!
Colin Whitlatch
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:53:34 PM

eo: What is the timeline for the next version & can we get started with the internal test build?

Thanks!
eo_support
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 2:59:51 PM

Hi,

Sorry about the delay. We have been waiting for the test build to be ready. I have PMed you with a test build. Please take a look and let us know how it goes.

Thanks!