Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

EO.PDF .NET HtmlToPdf renders special unicode characters as question marks on Windows 2016 Server Options
Ron
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:40:11 PM
Groups: Member

When I try to generate PDFs from HTML with characters with accents or special marks, like ë and ò, they are rendered as question marks. But this only happens when EO.PDF is running on my server - Windows 2016 Datacenter. The characters render fine on my development machine, a Windows 10 box.

The HTML is using Verdana font, which is standard and installed on the server.

Any suggestions?

eo_support
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:57:12 PM
Groups: Administration

This most likely has to do with permissions. Can you try to load the same page with Google Chrome browser on the server under the same user account and see if it works?
Ron
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:17:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. The web site that was running it was running using an application pool identity, so permissions might have been an issue. I changed the app pool to run with my administrator credentials but it didn't fix it. :( Any other thoughts?
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:52:00 PM

Have you tried testing with Google Chrome?

Internally we use Chromium browser engine to render the page, which is the same browser engine Google Chrome uses. So it should demonstrate the same behavior as Google Chrome browser. If the problem also exists in Google Chrome browser, then you can debug your page with Google Chrome to resolve the issue. We do not provide support on this part.

If the problem does not occur with Google Chrome, then we will need remote access to your system in order to investigate this issue further.

Thanks!
Ron
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 12:06:03 PM

Yes, it works fine in Chrome.

I can't provide remote access to the production server. And I can't reproduce this on any test machines. So I guess we're at an impasse.
eo_support
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 1:50:05 PM

The only thing we can do is to keep an eye on this issue and see we run into it again somewhere we do have access to. For this kind of issues we must have access to a system where we can reproduce the problem --- ideally in our own debug environment, but we can also work on the customer's system. The bottom line is we have to debug on the system that demonstrates the problem in order to precisely pinpoint the problem.

In the mean time, you can try to use @font-face CSS attribute to explicitly specify the font file in your HTML and see if that works. This way it would bypass Windows's font manager.