Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

ADA (section 508) compliance Options
Phil
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 6:13:01 AM
Groups: Member

Hello, we are using EO PDF version 18.3.46 and are wanting to generate PDF's that are ADA compliant - would you recommend that we change our markup to include ADA compliance tagging (which seems to be quite a significant task) or is there functionality within the PDF generate step to verify/automate this ?
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 12:26:54 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

The current version should automatically generates the tag data that would pass section 508 validators -- however it does not contains any significantly useful data, nor will it automatically transform all the markup in your HTML to the PDF. So there isn't much of a point for you to add ADA compliance tagging in your HTML.

Thanks!
Phil
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 12:29:58 AM

Many thanks for the reply. From what you're saying I don't need to configuring anything (eg. an EO-PDF property/parameter) for it to generate an ADA compliant PDF. However if I use the tool at the website https://www.access-for-all.ch/en/pdf-lab/pdf-accessibility-checker-pac.html, I get the following results

==========
This PDF file is not PDF/UA compliant.
Checkpoint
Basic Requirements
PDF Syntax - Passed:16 Warned:0 Failed:0
Fonts - Passed:8 Warned:0 Failed:0
Content - Passed:5318 Warned:0 Failed:7724
Embedded Files - Passed:0 Warned:0 Failed:0
Natural Language - Passed:0 Warned:0 Failed:5318
Logical Structure
Structure Elements - Passed:0 Warned:0 Failed:0
Structure Tree - Passed:0 Warned:0 Failed:0
Role Mapping - Passed:0 Warned:0 Failed:0
Alternative Descriptions - Passed:0 Warned:0 Failed:0
Metadata and Settings
Metadata - Passed:4 Warned:0 Failed:2
Document settings - Passed:4 Warned:0 Failed:2

PDF Accessibility Checker (PAC) evaluates the accessibility of PDF files according to ISO-/DIN-Standard 14289-1 (PDF/UA) by using the Matterhorn Protocol. It checks 107 criteria that can be checked automatically.

PAC is a free checking tool of the foundation «Access for all»: www.access-for-all.ch
==========

The above suggests it fails ADA compliance (for this tool at least). Do I need to run the check via Adobe Acrobat Pro - i.e. would you expect the Adobe Acrobat checker to pass the document for ADA compliance ?
Phil
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 9:31:09 PM

Hello - wondered if there was anyone who could respond to my recent reply regarding compliance results
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 6:22:34 PM
Groups: Administration

Sorry about the delay. We were trying to double check a few things. It appears that we have been mistaken in our original reply. This is in fact not supported.

Right now it is not possible for us to support section 508 because we rely on the Chromium browser engine's rendering to create the PDF file and the rendering layer's sole purpose is to render the HTML correctly (either to a screen device or a "PDF" device). And it does not maintain information needed to create the tags. So it is not possible for us to create the tags.

Once again I apologize for the delay and for giving you the incorrect answer initially.