Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

TreeView Control Options
Paul Clark
Posted: Friday, March 7, 2008 6:13:49 AM
Groups: Member

Hi

I have been evaulating your treeview for a project that I am doing and it will definitely do what we need.

However thinking ahead we have another project that has a need for a treeview. This treeview would need to support 5000 items on a single node I have created a demo project of this being done and the performance is not good. Is there any way that data can be paged so scrolling down the treeview loads more nodes. Or can some ajax like script be used to populate the list from the client. So the page can fully load with the treeview following after.

Regards Paul
eo_support
Posted: Friday, March 7, 2008 6:59:57 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately you won't be able to do that. You can AJAX load all child nodes of a tree node, but all child nodes of a single node are loaded during one call. Generally having more than 5000 items on a single node should be avoided at design level for two reasons:

1. Performance issues as you have noticed. No TreeView in the world can have 5000 items on a single node and still runs smoothly;
2. Usability issue. Your user will have a hard time to find what they want in that TreeView.

Thus you should considering reorganize your data to split it into small categories, (for example, if the items are "Client Names", you can split them into "A" , "B", ..."Z" based on first letter). Once you split them, you can then use it together with popuplate on demand feature to AJAX load a node at a time. Here is an example of this feature:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/Demo/Default.aspx?path=TreeView\_i1\_i1

Thanks