Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Is EO.PDF now supported in Azure App Service? Options
Ron
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 9:55:51 AM
Groups: Member

Is EO.PDF officially supported within an Azure App Service? I know for the longest time it wasn't, and the documentation still says it's not (https://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/common/deploy.aspx) but I've read some forum posts that indicate that people are doing it. And I just tried it myself and it seemed to work.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 3:55:52 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

There is no guarantee that EO.Pdf would work in Azure App Service as the goal of App Service is have less management (thus less control). However EO.Pdf requires explicitly access to system level APIs. If this is allowed in your setup, then it will work. If this is not allowed in your setup, then it won't work.

For example, currently Microsoft offers several different tiers for App Service. The "Free" and "Shared" tier will probably won't allow system level API change because your application is running on the same system as other customers. On the other hand the "Standard" and "Premium" will probably work because these tiers do not share the system with other customers. I say "probably" because the offerings/model are constantly changing. For example, App Service can be deployed to Linux systems, so if the underlying system is Linux, then even if you have "Standard" and "Premium" tier it still won't work since EO.Pdf only works on Windows. As such the safest way to use EO.Pdf is to use virtual machines where you have full control over what system you are running.

Thanks!
Ron
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 6:24:37 PM
Groups: Member

Thanks for the clarification!