Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

EO dlls seem to be ignoring 'Specific Version' set to false Options
penright
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2023 5:31:15 PM

Groups: Member

I am upgrading from 2020 1.88 to 2023 1.77
I have a DLL that sets the key.
In the past, all I had to do is recompile the DLL that sets the key and copy down it and the new EO DLLs.
I do have my reference "Specific Version" property set to 'False'
This time when I installed the new DLLs, the application continue to look for the old (2020 1.88) which doesn't exist because it is now the 2023 1.77.

The above is my issue in a nutshell. If I can anticipate some questions, let me move into what might be "more info than you care" :-)
I can get it to work by removing all references and reapplying them by pointing to the new DLLs.
The reason why I just don't want to recompile, is there are many apps that reference them. Kind of a long story.
In doing searches I saw many articles that said you don't want to do it, but if you set the "Specific Version" property to false, it will work. I did see some about it may depend on how the DLL is compiled.
I am using VS2022.
One other side note/question I can see, the reason I can just copy the DLLs is that I have added my own handler for the "AppDomain.CurrentDomain.AssemblyResolve". It recurses through known directories that fit my environment. When the reference DLL version does not match what I am expecting, the runtime throws an error before even Sub Main() starts.

Did you compile something that would cause this behavior since 2020?
Do you think VS changed between 2019 and 2022?

eo_support
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2023 1:05:03 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

We are not in a position to provide support on Visual Studio's behavior. However logically speaking, because the version number comes from the DLLs, so if Visual Studio is getting old version number, then it must be getting it from the old DLLs. That means the old DLLs are still somewhere on your system and those are the DLLs that Visual Studio is looking at. If you replace those DLLs with new ones then Visual Studio should pick up the new version number. Keep in mind that Visual Studio might make copy of our DLLs and cache it somewhere. So it may not be easy to find. Obviously if you do not know where those DLLs are, then the easiest way is to remove reference and then re-add them.

Thanks!