Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

SyntaxEditor - DynamicParser - Windows Vista - Crash! Options
Tim
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:02:12 AM
Groups: Member

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a finished piece of work, but I'm having a problem getting my compiled application to run in Windows Vista with the Syntax Editor.

The program runs fine in XP, and (weirdly) in Vista within my VS2005 development environment.

Running in Vista (even in Admin mode) generates a "This program has stopped working" error. I have located the line that cause the problem. In the "code behind" designer.vb page the problem is caused when assigning the DynamicParser to the SyntaxEditor's SyntaxParser property. This is despite the syntax rules I have created (if any).

Msgbox("hasn't crashed yet")
Me.Editor1.SyntaxParser = Me.DynamicParser1 <--- crashes on this line
Msgbox("you'll never see this message")
Me.Editor1.TabIndex = 0
Me.Editor1.Text = "Editor1"
'
'DynamicParser1
'
Me.DynamicParser1.TokenRules = New EO.WinForm.SyntaxEditor.Parser.TokenRule(-1) {}

To replicate the error:

Create a new project
Drop a SyntaxEditor onto the form
Drop a DynamicParser onto the form
Assign the DynamicParser to the SyntaxParser property of the Editor
Build solution
Run application in the Release folder

################################################
NB:
My goal is to create an Editor that has the following syntax colouring rules (which I have acheived using the DynamicParser):

Tags <h4>, <p>, <li>, <ul>, <ol>, <br>, <i>, <b>, <u> (and closing versions) should be bold and coloured green;

Tags <h3>Allowed Heading 1</h3>, <h3>Allowed Heading 2</h3> (i.e. a handful of specific headings) bold, larger and coloured green;

Tags of any other kind should be coloured red (as the target HTML of the edited text only supports this tiny sub set of HTML). This includes <h3>Disallowed Heading</h3>.

So if anyone can come up with a solution that circumvents using the DynamicParser, that works in Windows Vista: please suggest away!

eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:12:59 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for posting the issue here. We will look into it and get back to you as soon as possible.

BTW: Does the sample app run on your Vista?

Thanks
Tim
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:36:05 AM

Hey Support

C:\Program Files\Essential Objects\EO.WinForm Controls 2008.1\Samples\VB\VS2005\EOWinFormDemo.vbproj

I opened this project and built the solution. Then I ran the compiled file. All the demos launched fine, except the "Dynamic Parser" example. This created the same "... has stopped working" error.

Incidentally this error is not like the standard .NET Framework ("click here to debug or continue") message.

Thanks for your timely attention.

Tim
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:45:45 AM

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the additional information. We will look into it and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:07:06 AM

Hi Tim,

We have not been able to reproduce the problem on our side. Can you check the version of your DLL? We are running 1.0.19.1. Also try to run the prebuilt version directly off the start menu.

Thanks
Tim
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:52:01 AM

Hey

I have 1.0.17.1

I've just downloaded the latest version from your site, but this is still installing 1.0.17.1. How can I get a copy of 1.0.19.1 to try?

The demo running off the Start Bar does work (this is also referencing 1.0.17.1). Is it something to do with the way I am compiling that is causing this problem... ?

Tim

eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:51:48 PM

Hi Tim,

Sorry about that. We have just updated the download page, so if you download again you will get 1.0.19.1.

However we still do not know what's causing the problem, so I doubt if the new build will fix it. If it doesn't, would you be available for an online meeting so that we can see the error?

Thanks
Tim
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:05:46 AM

Hey

I'll download the latest version, but I'm in a agreement with you that this won't fixed the problem (based on the fact that your pre-compiled demo works on my Vista with 1.0.17.1).

An online meeting sounds very useful... how do we proceed with that?

Tim
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:13:14 AM

Hi Tim,

I've sent you a private message with the online meeting link. You can click the "Inbox" on top of the forum to join the meeting.

Thanks
eo_support
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 2:51:23 PM

This issue is fixed as of build 1.0.20.
Tim
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:42:18 PM

Works perfectly. Thanks again for looking into the problem.

Tim