Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Slow Grid Problem Options
Steve Peters
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:06:12 PM
Groups: Member

I am using version 5.0.53.2. I have a grid which changes when a menu item changes. In a normal grid the change takes about 1.5 seconds to update. Using your grid it takes up to 30 seconds. I have changed the code and created many databases to allow the quickest data access. (This used to be in a large database using a filter to select the data.) Each menu item represents about 200 records. Please try this running on my staging server at: http://71.254.149.82/Memberpages/OrderFormBrowse.aspx?qryOrderId=126541
username is steve and password is steve. Just select China or Tables on the menu and see how long it takes to update. I have tried using a callback panel and then an update panel without any speed increases. CLicking on an item in the grid updates the picture and this happens very quickly. Please help, I have been working on this project to use your grid for awhile now and have worked around all the other challenges except for this one. Thanks in advance.

Code:

<eo:Grid ID="GridInventory" runat="server" BorderColor="Brown"
BorderStyle="Groove" BorderWidth="3px"
ClientSideOnItemCommand="GetAddItem" ClientSideOnItemSelected="GetGridItem"
ColumnHeaderHeight="26" CssClass="GridStyle1" FixedColumnCount="3"
Font-Bold="False" Font-Italic="False" Font-Names="Verdana"
Font-Overline="False" Font-Size="X-Small" Font-Strikeout="False"
Font-Underline="False" GridLineColor="Black" GridLines="Both" ItemHeight="19"
KeyField="InCode" PagerLabelTemplate="" PageSize="25">
<ItemStyles>
<eo:GridItemStyleSet>
<ItemStyle CssText="background-color: white" />
<AlternatingItemStyle CssText="background-color:#FFFBD6" />
<ItemHoverStyle CssText="background-color:#f7778a;background-repeat:repeat-x;" />
<SelectedStyle CssText="background-color:#d54461;background-repeat:repeat-x;" />
<CellStyle CssText="padding-left:8px;padding-top:2px; color:#336699;" />
</eo:GridItemStyleSet>
</ItemStyles>
<FooterStyle CssText="padding-bottom:4px;padding-left:4px;padding-right:4px;padding-top:4px;" />
<ColumnHeaderTextStyle CssText="background-color:brown;color:brown;" />
<Columns>
<eo:RowNumberColumn DataField="InCode" HeaderText="" Name="Item" Width="1"
AllowResize="False">
<CellStyle CssText="color:black;padding-left:10px;text-align:center;" />
</eo:RowNumberColumn>
<eo:StaticColumn DataField="InDescription" HeaderText="Description"
Name="InDescription" Text="" Width="300" AllowResize="False">
<CellStyle CssText="color:black;padding-left:5px;" />
</eo:StaticColumn>
<eo:StaticColumn DataField="InRentPrice" DataFormat="{0:C}" HeaderText="Cost"
Name="Cost" Text="" Width="75" AllowResize="False">
<CellStyle CssText="color:black;font-size:X-Small;padding-right:10px;text-align:right;" />
<eo:ButtonColumn ButtonText="Add" ButtonType="PushButton" HeaderText="Add"
Name="btnGridAdd" Width="30" AllowResize="False">
<ButtonStyle CssText="font-size:XX-Small;font-weight:bold;" />
<CellStyle CssText="font-size:XX-Small;font-weight:bold;padding-a:0px;" />
</eo:ButtonColumn>
<eo:TextBoxColumn DataField="webqty" HeaderText="Qty" Width="75"
AllowResize="False">
</eo:TextBoxColumn>
<eo:CustomColumn DataField="webtotal" DataFormat="{0:C}" HeaderText="Total"
Width="75" AllowResize="False">
</eo:CustomColumn>
<eo:StaticColumn DataField="PictureUrl" Width="1">
</Columns>
<ColumnHeaderStyle CssText="background-color:brown;border-bottom-color:brown;border-bottom-style:solid;border-left-color:brown;border-left-style:solid;border-right-color:brown;border-right-style:solid;border-top-color:brown;border-top-style:solid;color:white;font-weight:bold;padding-left:8px;padding-top:2px;" />
<ColumnHeaderHoverStyle CssText="background-color:brown;border-bottom-color:brown;border-bottom-style:solid;border-left-color:brown;border-left-style:solid;border-right-color:brown;border-right-style:solid;border-top-color:brown;border-top-style:solid;color:white;font-weight:bold;padding-left:8px;padding-top:2px;" />
<ContentPaneStyle CssText="" />
</eo:Grid>
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:23:55 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Thanks for the information. You want to enable paging and decrease the height of the grid to lower the number of rows per page. Also make sure you do not set the Grid's height to 100%. The more rows per page you are seeing, the longer it takes to load. So as soon as you take the down the number of visible rows, it should improve quite a bit.

We are aware of the performance difference between the standard ASP.NET Grid and our Grid and we are continuously working to further optimize the product. However it is not practical to expect our Grid to run as fast as ASP.NET Grid because we supports a lot of features that relies heavily on JavaScript, while ASP.NET Grid uses almost none.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
Steve Peters
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:39:18 PM
Groups: Member

Thanks. I looked through more posts and found that the height and width need to be static. I changed this and it got about 5 times faster. About 5 seconds to load now. I think with a little more tweaking I can get the speed I need. Thanks again.