Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Grid View Filters Options
ROI.Solutions
Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:12:42 AM
Groups: Member

I just saw a product from a another company that i thoguht was cool. They have a grid View and it allows for Filters to narrow down data in the grid. I like your control a little better but would love to have this filter option Heres a link to the company site for an example of thier grid with filters. maybe we can see about trying to get it added.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:29:25 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Thanks for your excellent feedback. Filter is useful but we have been hesitating whether it should be part of the Grid. The reason is for every filtering to function it has to have two parts: the frontend and the backend. The frontend is the UI part which displays the dropdown box; The backend is the part that actually does the filtering, such as a SQL SELECT.

There are advantages and disadvantages of having filter built into the Grid. The advantage is its very easy to use. The disadvantage is that it is not flexible enough. If we were to make it part of the Grid, both the front end and the back end has to be customizable. In order to customize the frontend UI style and layout, a number of properties must be added, which can potentially make the Grid too bloated. So is the backend part, not to mention that the backend code must match the front UI.

On the other hand, implementing a separate filter is quite easy and flexible. You can arrange the filter UI whatever way you wanted and implement whatever filter logic you'd like. The draw back, of course, is that it is still some coding, and it does not sit inside the Grid.

Nevertheless, we will look into the idea and see if we can offer something that is both easy to use and flexible enough. The worst case we can provide a sample that implements a separate filter. That way even if it is not part of the Grid, you can still get the feature by copy and paste.

Thanks