Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Eval of EO.Web components Options
MAB
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:34:07 AM
Groups: Member

I am in the process of evaluating your web ofering and have the following issue:

I have built a web page using standrds MS components (ASP.Net 2.0).
Over the past couple of weeks I have replaced the tab strip and grid componet with EO versions.
I have a panel that has a multi line text box and eo.grid withing it. The panel is not on either of the pages accessed via the tab strip.
Currently when I update the text box I get a complete page refresh, however when I switch pages using the tab strip I do not get a page refresh.
I have tried to wrap the whole page in a callbackPanel - any suggestion of where I should look for a sample of how to use your callbackPanel?

Thanks,

MAB
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:44:48 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

When you say "update the text box", do you mean you type something in the textbox and then tab out? If that triggers a postback, you will want to check the textbox's AutoPostBack property. This property itself should have nothing to do with our controls.

If AutoPostBack is set to false and the page still posts back, you will want to find out the triggering point through trial and error: gradually remove other controls (or set other controls' Visible to false) and see when the problem stops occurring. Once you know what triggered it, it should not be very difficult to find out the root cause fix/workaround it.

TabStrip does not cause a postback unless its RaisesServerEvent is set to true.

Thanks
MAB
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:06:00 AM

I am trying to retrieve and display data from our database.
The user enters an Account ID and clicks a button.
The button call a web service that retrieves and returns the data. On receipt, the multiline TextBox.text is set to the returned data.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:24:45 AM

I see. When you click a button the page supposes to postback, so there is nothing wrong there. You can however use the CallbackPanel to avoid a postback. You will need to place whatever you want to update inside the CallbackPanel and also set the CallbackPanel's Triggers --- this is probably what you have missed. You can find more information on how to use the CallbackPanel at here:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/ViewDoc.aspx?t=Callback%2fusing_callback.html

CallbackPanel is also used extensively in our sample project. So you can take a look of that. If you have not played with the CallbackPanel before, I would suggest you to try it out in a separate page first, that way you can see how the CallbackPanel works much quicker without worrying about something else in your page is wrong.

Thanks
MAB
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:57:44 AM

OK thanks.

Should I use a single CallbackPanel for the whole page or separate ones for each "section"?
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:10:32 AM

That would be up to you. Technically there is no difference from our side. It's like choosing between an 8 seats van for the family or two separate cars, it all depends on how often you update them and how often you update them together.