Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

AJAXUploader customization Options
Marian
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:48:26 AM
Groups: Member

Hi,
My question is about your AJAXUploader control.
I need to upload file onto server without user interaction with Input Textbox and Browse button.
I only have myFile on client side and I need to upload it. Does your control allow this scenario?
Thanks.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:57:46 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

No web browser will allow you to automatically grab a file from a client's machine without having the user to browse for it first --- otherwise you would be able to build a site that can grab whatever user file you wish as soon as user visits your site.

Thus user must be aware that they are uploading a file --- they must click the browse button to browse for the file first. The browse button can be styled to whatever way you wanted though. You do not have to have a textbox either. This sample demonstrating using a toolbar button to trigger the upload:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/Demo/Default.aspx?path=AJAXUploader\uploader_toolbar

Thanks
Marian
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:15:10 AM

Hi,
thanks for explanation, I supposed this.
Nevertheless I have one question more about AjaxUploader.

I used method ClearPostedFiles() after the upload. This method clears files only from ViewState, not from server Temp directory (true?).
I have written myown method for deleting temporary files. It works good. But I vave found your txt file "no_need_to_delete_temp_file.txt" where is stated
"AJAXUploader automatically clears temp files that it created in this directory.
The files are not deleted immediately but will eventually be deleted."

My question: When are these files deleted by your control?
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:23:04 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

You should not delete the temp files. That's exactly why we put a "no_need_to_delete_temp_file.txt" there. The files are deleted after the uploader detects the file has not been "touched" for a certain period. However due to sever load and many other factors (for example, you app restarted before the time is reached ---- this is often the case on a development server), you may see those files not get deleted for a while. That is normal. They will eventually be deleted.

You can find more information about this on this page:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/ViewDoc.aspx?t=AJAXUploader%2fAJAXUploader_behavior.html

It would be in the "Clean up" section.

Thanks
Marian
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:29:48 AM

Thanks,
Now is it clear for me.